Non Urgent - My Cats Are Turning Blue

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hello.

I got new bedding last week, and I always wash it twice as I am autistic and don’t like the feel of the fabric otherwise.

It’s only been on my bed for 3 days. We have all turned blue, myself included, I just need reassurance that my cats won’t get sick from it.

Taffy is 80% white
Buttons has a white belly and feet
Bollo has white chest, belly and feet

The other 2 cats I can’t tell if they are blue or not. Every white part of the other 3 are turning blue as if they rolled around in grass and turned green. I have put a through on my bed so they can’t get any more blue. I have also turned blue. After a few showers today, I am still blue.

I just need to know, is blue dye toxic, my cats and myself are close to this shade blue... luckily I am a lot less blue now.

Google Image Result for https://www.hindustantimes.com/rf/image_size_960x540/HT/p2/2017/08/11/Pictures/_fab3b0f2-7e55-11e7-ba32-a280bea68af6.jpg

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I would also suggest calling your own doctor to find out if the dye can be absorbed into the pores of your skin. I don't want to worry you but it's the first thought that popped into my head. Please keep us posted and let us know how the kitties and you are doing. :goodluck:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’m sorry to hear about this. I understand it must have been a fright! I would agree with my fellow posters that it would be best to call your kitties vet and your doctor. I’d think that the dyes used to make blankets would be have to be safe, but it’s always best to check in, just to be sure.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd be inclined to nuke the entire site from orbit (ie put the bedding in the bin and get something else).

It's not right that dye is coming out of it after it's been washed twice. It's not right that you and your cats are changing colour. Think about it, that is not normal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have cleaned my cats with baby wipes which are almost pure water 99.99%. In the light they still looks a little blue.

I am going to wash my bedding tomorrow one more time, I don’t have the time today, but there is a throug on it so they can’t go blue again. But as I am in the bed, I am still turning blue.

I really like my new bedding so I would like to keep it. But it was only £5 on eBay so I can not really complain.

I spoke to my mum who said certain colours made with certain dyes can run, after a couple washes, like my red socks which turned my shirt pink even after a months worth of washing and wearing.

Should I still call my vets? I am only hesitant as they are a charity. I don’t pay for any medical visits, phone calls, surgeries I just pay what I can for their medication. I don’t want to take up an appointment for advise when it can be used for an actual problem.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Definatly call your vet. Better safe than sorry and it takes less of the vets time to have a snort convesation than an appt for a sick cat. When you wash the bedding try putting a cup of white vinegar in. It whats used for easter egg dying, maybe it will also keep the dye from coming off your bedding. It may need several rinses to get the smell out though.