non-stick cooking spray in a litter box?

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's talk of Walmart coming to Australia, so maybe some of the brands you mention will be available to us.

rebkah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do this with some degree of success. Here is my process: I have two large deep (@2x3x14") clear plastic totes (available at walmart or home dopot or lowes...I don't use regular cat pans; not big or deep enough). I spray the sides and bottom of one thoroughly with Pam and fill it halfway (@8" deep) with litter. This takes one large bag or two medium boxes of litter. I have three cats, and I scoop the poops and loose pee clumps every  day. At the end of the week I take the box outdoors, get any floating chunks I missed, set the box on a bench and then gradually, slowly pour the loose litter into the other pre-Pammed tote below, scooping any remaining clumps as they surface during the pour. A few lumps will stick to the bottom (no system is perfect), but they are fairly easily pried off. I then soak and scrub the used tote, hit it with all-natural thyme based disinfectant, and let it sit in the sun to dry. Each tote gets one week use, one week dry and disinfect. The used litter will only be useful one more week, for a total of two weeks use out of one large bag. (After that, it's just too smelly to keep, even without any clumps left). This two tote / deep litter system is fairy easy to manage. I don't know how well this system would work with a shallow pan. After any tote gets too scratched up to clean well, I toss it and get another. Been doing it this way for about seven years now. I can't wait til someone invents a truly nonstick cat pan!

Newsflash: Just found this on the web!

Rust-Oleum just launched  a product that can waterproof nearly any surface or object. You can get it here for $20 for an 18oz can.

I'm going to try this instead of Pam...will re-post on the results....

bestkittyever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been using spray silicone on my cats boxes and it works great.  I spray and let it dry in the sun.  Nothing sticks to it and I have had no adverse reactions to my cats health.  I even use it on the parrot cage

rebkah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, I gave the waterproofing spray a good long test-out, treating the insides of large plastic totes as per instructions on the can.My conclusion is that it's expensive, arduous to apply and doesn't make any appreciable difference in whether or not the litter sticks to the tote. It also scratches off easily when scooping. So I have gone back to the nonstick cooking spray. Oh,well. It was worth a try.

Also, as to the post about the silicone spray, yes, it would prevent sticking, probably really well. But silicone is very low molecular weight and creeps over time, and tends to get everywhere. I wouldn't want to be cleaning my paws and tasting it. Nasty, take my word. I'd also be reluctant just from a health standpoint (it gives me rashes if I get it on me). Maybe silicone is safe to ingest, but ... the cooking spray is made to human food grade standards, and is known to be safe...Stray thought: I wonder if restaurant supply stores sell giant teflon-lined pans...Aha! looks like I've found my next test project!...

ghr73

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I used the Pet Zone No Stick Litter Box Spray and it worked for 2 days, which for the price of $14, is worthless. I also try Pam, but it made the litter smell bad. Now I am thinking of using a mix of mineral oil and water. I have not seen anybody that has done this before, but I am going to give it a try.

floatingcloud

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - I was having this same problem as a cat owner for years (have always had between 2 - 4 cats a time).  There were a couple products I found that advertised as nonstick (like the Nature's miracle litter box) but the results weren't anything to write home about.

I did some more research and found this site in the process -- some helpful suggestions here.  But I wanted something a little off the shelf and easier and I found something that has been working very well for me.  It's a nonstick coated litter box by Petfusion and I bought mine on their site here: https://pet-fusion.com/collections/litter-cleaning/products/betterbox-non-stick-litterbox

About 4 weeks into using it the results are very good!  Clumps seem to slip right off when I use my scoop.  Other than the dust from the litter, I can't see any residue on the coating and the smell has gone way down in our litter box area.