Non sociable cat

romeo19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have had Romeo for a year and a half
We bought him from a legitimate pet shop when he was 8weeks
He loved cuddles and sitting on our lap or even the sofa next to us, or on the floor in the same room.
But as he got older and started going outside, he became more and more independent.

Now he does not like cuddles (rarely), would not sit on our lap or even in the same room as us.
He is out all night and comes in in the morning to sleep all day, either in our bedroom or the guest bedroom.
Comes 6/7pm, he comes down for his treat and some food, and leaves again

He is very soft, very talkative, very soiled, never aggressive even if we give him a cuddle when he doesn't want one.

It's just very sad that we seem to have a car that does not want to be with us;((

What an we do?

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is Romeo neutered? Male cats that aren't neutered become more independent as they get older, as they're constantly "on the prowl" and focused on finding a female in heat and breeding. It's a frustrating situation for them that can never been alleviated. I know many people who experienced this in their male cat, and then after neutering their cat was back to being a friendly, snuggly kitty.

If he is neutered, he may have a more independent personality. Keeping him indoors may reinforce that bond between you. Engaging him through play may also help too. He seems to enjoy swinging around for treats and food, remind him with toys that you're fun to be around even if he doesn't like snuggling anymore!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

romeo19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is neutered..it was done at 7months before he was allowed outside
I am just wondering if there is anything other than playing with him that could turn him back into bring a lap cat

Is his behaviour normal basically?

We are also expecting a baby in few days' time and I wonder howvthat will affect him?

Thank you

poppys mum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nambour - Sunshine Coast Queensland, Australia
Hi Romeo's Mum

Can you keep Romeo in during the night?  It would be much safer for him and for the wildlife in your area.  In most states of Australia, part of the Companion Animal Act, cats must be kept inside from dusk till dawn as this is when other wildlife that cats predate on is most  vulnerable, I don't know what laws are like elsewhere but this will certainly keep your kitty safer and less likely to get beat up by other cats or worse.  If you do this he will complain A LOT for a couple of weeks and will probably always try to escape outside - our Poppy tries to escape outside at night time all the time and she has always been kept inside at night since we got her at 3 months old, she is now eight years old.  Once your FurBaby is in this routine and receiving lots of attention he will probably get a bit more affectionate.  Have you tried kitty treats?  Lots of play also helps with your's and your cat's bond.  There is a fellow living on the Gold Coast here in Queensland - he is a cat whisperer,
  you could find him on Youtube or Facebook as CatManToo.  He has a couple of cats and dogs who are very well trained and offers lots of training tips to anyone who asks, I am sure he could help you - he also has lots of tips and tricks already for viewing in video clips - honestly the things his cats do are amazing, especially his cat Digda.  Hope you find what you are looking for and get your lap cat back to some degree.

Cheers

Angie