Non-recognition!

mistystorm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, previously when I had to bring my cat Storm to the vet, when we brought him home, my other cat (Misty) was hissing and didn't recognize him. After a few hours she got used to him, and they were back to normal.

Over 2 weeks ago, the same cat(Storm), had to stay at a hospital for 3 nights, and when he returned home Misty of course did not recognize him, but after these two weeks she is used to him and okay being around him, however Storm who has never had a problem with this is now chasing Misty around, trying to attack her, but he only does this after being with her for 5 minutes perfectly okay, licking her and everything? Is there something else that could be going on? Or is it just non recognition aggression? I'm not sure how to get him to stop attacking her and let them be together again?

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well it sounds like th first part is all about scent. I’ve heard of the same thing happening when a cat has to have a bath, and my cat will even attack my lab if I’m not careful after he comes back in from swimming in the pool since he doesn’t smell right. I would guess as Storm washes herself and whatnot she starts to smell more like her old self.

I’m hoping other people will have better ideas on the last part because honestly I don’t know enough about it. When she attacks is it the type of attack that can resolute in blood? Is there any place that seems to set her off?