Non-recognition between cats

kyface

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took my cat, Thor to the vet yesterday. He got an examination and a distemper shot. When I brought him home, his brother Loki started acting really mean towards him. He was hissing and trying to swat at him. I take my cats rutinely to the vets and this sort of thing has never happened before. Loki usually goes the most because he has had lots of food allergy issues, and he hates the vet. I tried separating them (the whole night), I tried feeding them together, and playing together. But as soon as Loki smells Thor he starts acting up (I also tried rubbing him down with some dry shampoo to take some of the smell away). I'm not sure what to do at this point and I'm really worried, any advice would be much appreciated.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I hate to say this, but you are probably going to have to re-introduce them, just as if they were strangers to each other.  This is really not that uncommon.  Something changed Thor's scent while at the vet, and Loki is reacting to it.  

There are 105 articles here on TCS on how to introduce/reintroduce cats,  Rather than try to pick out something that doesn't work for you, I'm going to tell you how to search for them.  First, go to the top of this page and locate the Search bar.  Enter "introducing cats" and click on Search.  Then look on the left-hand side of the screen.  You will see a list of items, including Articles (105).  Simply click on that, and find the one that fits your situation best!  

The good news is that it probably will NOT take a huge amount of time to reintroduce them, but you will have to be patient.  No one knows quite why this happens with cats who have been together for a long time, even since birth, but it does.  It probably has to do with their extreme territorialism, although the exact triggers are a mystery.

Best of luck, and keep us posted!

simonschuster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I read somewhere to put vanilla extract on each cat and them smelling the same vanilla on each other helps. It may have been on this forum. Cannot remember. It was in reference to your exact situation,though- returning from vet and one cat had new smells the other(s) didn't like.

Good luck!