Non recognition aggression

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, most people I spoke to about it acted like it wasn’t a big deal, or worse, suggested I just get rid of the problem cat. I’m glad this site exists to give support in these difficult situations.

Your cats are doing really well if they can play and eat in the same room! I think you are getting close to normal again. You are in that final stage where they aren’t attacking but they also aren’t entirely comfortable and friendly, and it’s a very confusing stage. The earlier stages have more clear cut directions, this part is just a lot of observation. I agree, you shouldn’t leave them unsupervised until you feel fairly confident that they are getting along pleasantly.

What was their relationship before all of this? Were they best friends, sleeping, grooming, playing together? Or did they more or less just peacefully coexist side by side?

There came a point with my cats when there was no more hissing or growling, they would do some sniffing and a little grooming, but didn’t seem very close. I started letting them spend more and more supervised time together, and when there were no more incidents for a whole day, we let them back together completely. After that the closeness and friendliness really started coming back. It just takes time.

Jstnh2007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, most people I spoke to about it acted like it wasn’t a big deal, or worse, suggested I just get rid of the problem cat. I’m glad this site exists to give support in these difficult situations.

Your cats are doing really well if they can play and eat in the same room! I think you are getting close to normal again. You are in that final stage where they aren’t attacking but they also aren’t entirely comfortable and friendly, and it’s a very confusing stage. The earlier stages have more clear cut directions, this part is just a lot of observation. I agree, you shouldn’t leave them unsupervised until you feel fairly confident that they are getting along pleasantly.

What was their relationship before all of this? Were they best friends, sleeping, grooming, playing together? Or did they more or less just peacefully coexist side by side?

There came a point with my cats when there was no more hissing or growling, they would do some sniffing and a little grooming, but didn’t seem very close. I started letting them spend more and more supervised time together, and when there were no more incidents for a whole day, we let them back together completely. After that the closeness and friendliness really started coming back. It just takes time.
They would mostly play together and sometimes lay together. They weren't much for grooming one another. I'm so thankful that I found this group, it has really have alleviate some of my anxiety about this whole process. You are right, I think this might be the most difficult stage of the process!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you so much! It has been a tough 11 days and I feel like everyone I talk to just blows it off like big deal?? I am able to play with them in the same room (for the most part) and feeding them in the same room has been easy as well. It's just seems to be Simon does not want Alvin near him so when he does walk past him he just swats him away and meows. Alvin is very timid so he was running away and hiding but this morning he didn't do that just walked away to the window. I am just worried Alvin will be afraid of him.

I will try some different kind of treats to see if that helps at all. I am going away Thursday in the morning and will be back Friday evening but am going to separate them through a screen door as I am not comfortable leaving them alone unsupervised for over 24 hours.
Good idea for while you are gone.

Keep rubbing them both with the same cloth 1st cat, 2nd cat, then 1st cat again and then take the cloth and rub it at their head level around the walls.

You can try catnip too. Maybe some of those tube treats.

• Purraise
Reactions: D_H

Jstnh2007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good idea for while you are gone.

Keep rubbing them both with the same cloth 1st cat, 2nd cat, then 1st cat again and then take the cloth and rub it at their head level around the walls.

You can try catnip too. Maybe some of those tube treats.
Thanks Alldara! I read somewhere that cat nip could lead to some aggression so I haven’t been giving them any but they do both love catnip. So I’m not sure how much truth there is behind the cat nip and aggression. Generally it didn’t do that.

I have been rubbing them with the same clothe mostly on their head and around their whiskers. I just started this today though. Hoping this helps as much as possible!

I will keep you all updated on my progress!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks Alldara! I read somewhere that cat nip could lead to some aggression so I haven’t been giving them any but they do both love catnip. So I’m not sure how much truth there is behind the cat nip and aggression. Generally it didn’t do that.

I have been rubbing them with the same clothe mostly on their head and around their whiskers. I just started this today though. Hoping this helps as much as possible!

I will keep you all updated on my progress!
Catnip can give two reactions which will change how you use it! You'll see in your cats what's best.

Calm reaction - use it during intros
Hyper reaction - use it before intros to get the cat to play hard and then have an introduction begin while they eat.

For my cats, catnip is a treat that can be high reward so I give it to them a lot.

Jstnh2007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Catnip can give two reactions which will change how you use it! You'll see in your cats what's best.

Calm reaction - use it during intros
Hyper reaction - use it before intros to get the cat to play hard and then have an introduction begin while they eat.

For my cats, catnip is a treat that can be high reward so I give it to them a lot.
That makes perfect sense. It has generally always calmed my cats down so I will give it a go! Thank you!

Jstnh2007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That makes perfect sense. It has generally always calmed my cats down so I will give it a go! Thank you!
Update: I just got back from my trip and I fed the cats and Simon (the aggressor) did hiss but did then layer on his side (belly exposed) and did not engage in any thing else. I also just gave them both some catnip and they are both enjoying it next to one another. Simon did walk up to Alvin and get close enough to smell him but did not hiss this time. I feel like we are so close but still not all the way there.

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It does sound like you are very close! Simon laying on his side and exposing his belly is a really good sign. The relaxed body posture suggests he doesn’t view Alvin as much of a threat. Now that you are home you can really work with them, letting them spend as much time as possible together. See if there is a way they might play together. We had our cats play on either side of an open door with something like a shoelace or another toy that can reach both sides.

Jstnh2007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It does sound like you are very close! Simon laying on his side and exposing his belly is a really good sign. The relaxed body posture suggests he doesn’t view Alvin as much of a threat. Now that you are home you can really work with them, letting them spend as much time as possible together. See if there is a way they might play together. We had our cats play on either side of an open door with something like a shoelace or another toy that can reach both sides.
Update. Today would be day 15 and I think I am in the clear. Simon and Alvin have been in the same room with me for most of the day and Simon does not seem stressed at all and there has been no signs of aggression. Friday night I actually caught Simon walk up and lick Alvin a few times and then they played together I was a bit nervous watching this but it did not escalate into anything but play. I just want to rule out one thing. Does anyone know how long the vanilla scent lasts? I haven’t placed it on either of them since Tuesday (5 days ago). So I assume that scent is gone by now? Just want to rule out that the relaxed behavior is not being of the vanilla. Fingers crossed!

Jstnh2007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update. Today would be day 15 and I think I am in the clear. Simon and Alvin have been in the same room with me for most of the day and Simon does not seem stressed at all and there has been no signs of aggression. Friday night I actually caught Simon walk up and lick Alvin a few times and then they played together I was a bit nervous watching this but it did not escalate into anything but play. I just want to rule out one thing. Does anyone know how long the vanilla scent lasts? I haven’t placed it on either of them since Tuesday (5 days ago). So I assume that scent is gone by now? Just want to rule out that the relaxed behavior is not being of the vanilla. Fingers crossed!
Also wanted to tell a funny story. Well, we all know how important scent swapping is throughout this entire process. Well the cats took it upon themselves today to do the scent swapping. I have a cat tower and they have been taking turning laying in it today 😂😂

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you made it! If they went a whole day with no problems, they are probably fine. And I don’t think it’s the vanilla, I’m sure after 5 days it is gone.

Jstnh2007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you made it! If they went a whole day with no problems, they are probably fine. And I don’t think it’s the vanilla, I’m sure after 5 days it is gone.
I think so too!! There have been no set backs again today. I may have PTSD from this because I am expecting there to be some sort of relapse haha but trying to stay positive!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

D_H

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad to hear that you're over it, and I'm so sorry I haven't been able to be part of the support group here!

Yes, most people I spoke to about it acted like it wasn’t a big deal, or worse, suggested I just get rid of the problem cat.
I tried to explain it to my brother and asked him if he'd agree to get rid of one of his kids... Surprisingly he said "Yes", but that a whole different story :lol:

I’m glad this site exists to give support in these difficult situations.
I agree, and that's exactly the reason I've started this thread. I already knew everything I needed to know, and I just needed this amazing place's support.

I read somewhere that cat nip could lead to some aggression
My cats enjoy most of the catnip toys they have, except for two that cause them to be aggressive :headscratch:
Maybe it has something to do with the species of the plant itself?

I actually caught Simon walk up and lick Alvin a few times and then they played together
And you mentioned that they've never done it before - I bet Simon thinks Alvin is a new cat..

Now, how about some photos?? 🙃

Jstnh2007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad to hear that you're over it, and I'm so sorry I haven't been able to be part of the support group here!

I tried to explain it to my brother and asked him if he'd agree to get rid of one of his kids... Surprisingly he said "Yes", but that a whole different story :lol:

I agree, and that's exactly the reason I've started this thread. I already knew everything I needed to know, and I just needed this amazing place's support.

My cats enjoy most of the catnip toys they have, except for two that cause them to be aggressive :headscratch:
Maybe it has something to do with the species of the plant itself?

And you mentioned that they've never done it before - I bet Simon thinks Alvin is a new cat..

Now, how about some photos?? 🙃
Do not worry about it! They have been back tj normal for the most part. They have been playing a lot more with each other then normal. I still get a little nervous sometimes when they play haha.
Here is a photo! Alvin is the orange cat and Simon is the gray and white! IMG_0001.jpeg

Jstnh2007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all, I have a new question now lol. I may have to move within the next few months. Does any one know if the cats will still recognize each other in the new home? I’m thinking they would since they smell the same but now I’m paranoid haha. When I moved to my current home there was no aggression but they were younger. Like 1 and 2 years old I believe. Thank you all for the help 😁

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I haven’t dealt with this but I’ve thought about it. I feel like Penny would get so disoriented that it would happen again. Hopefully someone who has experienced moving with a susceptible cat will chime in.

D_H

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To be honest I’m terrified from the day that we’ll have to move…
I’d look for any article or video (try Jackson Galax) regarding the subject, and prepare in advance.
I’m sure you’ll find something here as well.

Goodluck!

Jstnh2007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well everyone. I had to take Simon to the vet today and I will have to admit I was a nervous wreck. This time the tables were turned and the previous aggressor had to go to the vet. He has been howling at night and eating and drinking way more so I wanted to get blood work done to see if he has hyperthyroidism. Still waiting on those results but I did everything I learned in this group. I rubbed Simon down with a shirt before, put it in a ziplock bag, took his favorite blanket with him too. Once the vet appt was over I took out the shirt and rubbed him down and then he layed on his favorite blanket the whole way home. It was a 45 min drive. When I got home I took off the shirt I was wearing and turned it inside out and rubbed him down some more. I kept them separate for 3 more hours and I am pleased to say Alvin is not phased at all and it’s like Simon never left.

When Simon came out of the vet smelling like iodine. I was like shit I am doomed. But just goes to show how much this support group has helped me. Now wish me luck on finding what is wrong with Simon so he isn’t up all night meowing 😞.

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That’s wonderful news! I too learned so much and will never do a vet visit without taking preemptive measures. There is so much we can do to eliminate the risk and/or minimize the situation immediately if it does occur. The average cat owner would never know anything about redirected aggression, I know I didn’t. I hope everything works out good for Simon.

D_H

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well everyone. I had to take Simon to the vet today and I will have to admit I was a nervous wreck. This time the tables were turned and the previous aggressor had to go to the vet. He has been howling at night and eating and drinking way more so I wanted to get blood work done to see if he has hyperthyroidism. Still waiting on those results but I did everything I learned in this group. I rubbed Simon down with a shirt before, put it in a ziplock bag, took his favorite blanket with him too. Once the vet appt was over I took out the shirt and rubbed him down and then he layed on his favorite blanket the whole way home. It was a 45 min drive. When I got home I took off the shirt I was wearing and turned it inside out and rubbed him down some more. I kept them separate for 3 more hours and I am pleased to say Alvin is not phased at all and it’s like Simon never left.

When Simon came out of the vet smelling like iodine. I was like shit I am doomed. But just goes to show how much this support group has helped me. Now wish me luck on finding what is wrong with Simon so he isn’t up all night meowing 😞.
I'm SO glad to hear everything went fine! I will say that our stress also has an effect on them, so whenever possible, try to stay cool as much as you can - or at least pretend.

For their annual treatments I've booked a vet that comes over - and that's exactly what I'm planning to do from now on.

Fingers crossed for Simon, hoping that whatever is bothering him gets better soon.