Non-hodgkin's Lymphoma

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My beautiful girl, Silk - 10 years old - was just diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. I am heartbroken. Glad, finally, that we figured out why she's been so sick, but so sad when I look forward to the coming year.

Her internist called me today to explain and offer options. Treatment would entail weekly chemo injections for a month, then a reassessment. She has been losing weight (although it seems to be stable now and she has even gained some back), vomiting, and having diarrhea; he says the chemo would likely help her some.

Wondering if anyone has been here and if you have any insight or suggestions?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try some music, there's MusicForCats . com, there's an app called Relax My Cat, and even classical harp music can help.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. She is actually eating fine, but throwing up and with diarrhea. Lost a bunch of weight, but seems stable now.
You can ask the vet if it's OK to give probiotics like FortiFlora -- they say FortiFlora also supports the immune system. Not sure if there is anything better. It also helps if the cat has decreased appetite.

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can ask the vet if it's OK to give probiotics like FortiFlora -- they say FortiFlora also supports the immune system. Not sure if there is anything better. It also helps if the cat has decreased appetite.
I started her on Feline Comfort from Vitality Sciences (with my vet's ok). She actually has no trouble eating. Since I went back to the food she likes, she seems to have an insatiable appetite. I know in people that can be associated with GI issues, but not sure about cats.

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So...she's been pooping outside the litter box since last night. Diarrhea, and sometimes on the carpet. I tried moving the litter box back to the laundry room where the other box is - showed it to her, which is usually all I need to do with changes, and she pooped again where her litter box was (and, thankfully, I hadn't moved the mat).

I just don't know what to do.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you give her a room that's just for her, with puppy pee pads and litter boxes?

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you give her a room that's just for her, with puppy pee pads and litter boxes?
To do that I'd have to shut her in there. That won't go over well with either of my cats. I'll keep it in mind, though. I did think of moving the litter box into the bathroom, which is right next to the room she's pooping in, then shutting the door to that room. It's a small bathroom and the litter box will be fully accessible and visible from the hallway.

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, new plan. I did move the litter box into the bathroom, closed the door to the bedroom, and put an old sheet on the floor outside the bathroom, in case she decides not to use the box. It's not perfect - I'll have to see how she reacts - but might be good for a minute.

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Silk continues with diarrhea 3-4x a day. The vomiting has stopped - she hasn't vomited for probably 2 weeks. She's eating and drinking really well, but definitely has days when she feels bad. We are scheduled for chemo on Monday, but I am so afraid he's going to say there's no hope it will help.

Really sad and worried.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If non-Hodgkins in cats is anything like humans, it one of the easiest forms of cancer to cure. A friend of mine had it. They found a large mass in his upper chest and it was very large. If I remember right he said it was close to the size of a football. This was like 5 years ago and he's still cancer free. Best of luck to you. Hope everything goes well!

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What they tell me is that without treatment, she has, at most, 6 weeks. With treatment, if she improves, she might have 2 years. I am just worried because she really doesn't seem to feel well. But maybe that's what the chemo is supposed to help?

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, in humans, even in terminal cases, you sometimes give chemo because it knocks back the tumor and makes the patient feel better.

Good luck with the chemo and I hope it gives your girl some quality time. :goodluck: