Non-adjuvanted core vaccines Purevax vs Nobivac Tricat

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I remember reading that a non-adjuvanted, recombinant vaccine called Purevax is the best one available today. Our vet uses Nobivac Tricat and their website says it's a live attenuated (weakened) freeze dried vaccine containing feline herpes virus type 1 (rhinotracheitis), feline calicivirus and feline panleucopaenia virus (MW-1).   Apparently, Nobivac's also non adjuvanted.

Should I find a vet that uses Purevax or is Nobivac ok? This is for the F3

EDIT:
I did some online research and learned that Purevax RCP contains inactivated (killed) calicivirosis antigens (FCV 431 and G1 strains) according to Purevax RCP - European Medicines Agency.

Tricat contains all live attenuated ingredients.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, have you talked to your vet and asked them about this?

Honestly, if this were me I'd find a vet who uses the purevax.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I only asked for adjuvant-free, live vaccine and he showed me Nobivac Tricat saying it's live. He's right. I just had never heard of other adjuvant free vaccines other than Purevax, but maybe Tricat is ok since it contains all live ingredients while Purevax contains a killed ingredient. But maybe there's a reason Purevax uses a killed ingredient for calicivirosis that only medical professionals know...

My vet didn't seem to know about Purevax when I mentioned it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Also this page is very helpful Vaccines for Cats: We Need to Stop Overvaccinating

I posted this question because our cats' 5th year titer test results came back somewhat mixed. It showed that they weren't protected againt calici and herpes anymore but still showed strong immunity against panleukopaenia. The vet wants to revaccinate them but I've decided not to.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think PureVax 3 is also adjuvant-free. It's what my vet gives.
https://www.boehringer-ingelheim.com/animal-health/companion-animals-products/purevax

the SPCA uses Nobivax so that's what Ghost has. Magnus had Nobivax as a baby from the rescue. Calcifer had one dose of Nobivax from the rescue and they missed his second dose so he started completely over with PureVax.

I've found both to be pretty safe.

do you foster animals or work with animals? Do you cats go outside unsupervised? You might want to go with the more efficient vaccine is yes.