Nobody Knows Why He's Vomiting

katyfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my 15 year old cat Romeo throws up almost daily, sometimes twice a day. It is yellow, sometimes with pieces of kibble. We've taken him to the vet a few times, they drew blood, and did some tests. It's not thyroid and not diabetes. They have no idea what is causing the frequent vomiting. We're looking into different food for him. He is otherwise seemingly healthy, albeit a bit skinny, but that's old age, we think. He is lovely boy and I hate to seem him throwing up so much. He also does a weird thing where he opens and closes his mouth as if trying to spit something out, and sometimes he sticks his paw in there to try to get someting out. The vet says it's not in his mouth, and he has very healthy teeth for his age. Does anyone know what could be causing it, how to fix it or what food to buy?

MegAH2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did you try grain-free (like wheat-free)? This helped out my cat a lot.. she was the only one that had such a problem with throwing up, and it switched pretty fast after getting new food.

three cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my 15 year old cat Romeo throws up almost daily, sometimes twice a day. It is yellow, sometimes with pieces of kibble. We've taken him to the vet a few times, they drew blood, and did some tests. It's not thyroid and not diabetes. They have no idea what is causing the frequent vomiting. We're looking into different food for him. He is otherwise seemingly healthy, albeit a bit skinny, but that's old age, we think. He is lovely boy and I hate to seem him throwing up so much. He also does a weird thing where he opens and closes his mouth as if trying to spit something out, and sometimes he sticks his paw in there to try to get someting out. The vet says it's not in his mouth, and he has very healthy teeth for his age. Does anyone know what could be causing it, how to fix it or what food to buy?
I recently went through something similar with my boy. He was throwing up daily, and was foamy yellow/greenish. He also lost weight as it seemed he couldn't keep anything down. We did bloodwork and the only thing that showed up was possibly a kidney infection. We did a week of antibiotics, that seemed to help somewhat although after a couple of days we then added prednisone and that combo seemed to work well. After he came off the first round of meds the vomiting resumed, so we did another round of antibiotics and prednisone, this time for 2 weeks then tapering off the prednisone for another 2 weeks. His last dose of prednisone was yesterday so I'm hoping he's completely healed. He certainly is acting and eating better with no vomiting.

katlady-18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe IBD or a food allergy? Has the vet recommended an ultrasound?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Did they test for ckd? They would probably have to take a pee sample for this.

How are his teeth? Sometimes a rotten tooth can cause vomiting.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
The yellow liquid sounds like it could be bile. I've heard that gastritis could cause the vomiting of bile. Gastritis is a symptom of various diseases including kidney and liver issues and pancreatitis. Did your vet recommend a blood test to check the organ function? I also agree with the other posters, I think an ultrasound and a urinalysis sound like a good idea too.