No to Pred, Yes to Chemo - but not 'urgent'

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
UPDATE to: How did you make the decision for Pred and chemo? | TheCatSite - and, long, as usual.

New oncologist seen in November. Her assessment is NOT to give Pred due to Feeby's other health conditions - primarily CKD and the leaky heart valve (no treatment needed at this time). Because Feeby's main symptoms are lethargy and inappetence, the latter of which is being managed, she wanted a follow up this month to see if anything has changed.

Well, the only thing that really changed is Feeby has now been diagnosed with high BP, which is being treated with Amlodipine.

Feeby has also now been given monthly Solensia injections (first one in October) for her arthritis; started on ondansetron 4 mg x 2 daily also in October but is now being increased to 4 mg x 3 daily.

She still gets Mirataz every other day, and Phos-Bind every day, along with her H-T meds, and monthly B-12 injections. Mobility increased with Solensia, but nothing has improved her lethargy/lack of energy. Still maintaining her weight, not vomiting, has good, regular stools, and drinking/urination are pretty much unchanged.

The oncologist said if I feel comfortable, we could proceed with chlorambucil, but she is still of the mindset that it is not urgent to start immediately, especially since she would like to ensure Feeby's BP is under control. She bases this on the fact that Feeby's other health issues need to take equal precedent to the lymphoma, and that lymphoma cannot override all else. Among other comments, she also stated: "Patients will eventually become nonresponsive to chlorambucil therapy, I try not to begin therapy until the patient's presentation indicates it to ensure it is as effective for as long as possible."

I asked her point blank about the lymphoma and her other conditions, and what her educated conjecture would be in terms of what might 'get Feeby first'. To this she responded: "Small cell GI lymphoma can have a clinical course of years and thus it is very possible that it will not be the reason Feeby leaves us."

I know most have had cats with more symptoms than Feeby's to elicit an IBD or SCL diagnosis, and that Pred and/or chemo were started almost immediately. What I don't know is if anyone cat's lymphoma was found by accident (as was Feeby's), and between that and other health issues, the course of treatment was adjusted to better match what Feeby's oncologist is recommending. Anyone?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I know most have had cats with more symptoms than Feeby's to elicit an IBD or SCL diagnosis, and that Pred and/or chemo were started almost immediately. What I don't know is if anyone cat's lymphoma was found by accident (as was Feeby's), and between that and other health issues, the course of treatment was adjusted to better match what Feeby's oncologist is recommending. Anyone?
I know artiemom artiemom has gone through something similar with Geoffrey. He has IBD and SCL too and was on both of the same meds as Feeby. Hopefully she will see your post and be able to offer some helpful advice. :crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know artiemom artiemom has gone through something similar with Geoffrey. He has IBD and SCL too and was on both of the same meds as Feeby. Hopefully she will see your post and be able to offer some helpful advice. :crossfingers:
Difference, as I know, being that Geoffrey was put on steroids, and chemo was not delayed. I don't think I am going to find anyone on this site or anywhere else.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner Yes, you are correct. Ass soon as the biopsy results were in, we began the Pred-- later changed to budesonide--- and chlorambucil. The dose is 2mg every other day. Many doctors prescribe pulse dosing. I give up pursing this corse with the Vet.. I am going with the very other day. I do not know enough about the pulse dosing, to argue.

Geoffrey is also getting Miratazapine, daily, now; but half a dose. It makes a huge difference with his appetite. Without it, he eats very little.
We switched to the Budesonide because, the Pred was making him so lethargic, and not my cat.. he was staring into space, etc..
Geoffrey is also getting a very low dose of Zofran, twice daily. I have tried several times to decrease the dose to once daily; but, after a few days, he starts vomiting.. and feeling horrible. He gets 1 mg Zofran twice a day.

What I am going to say is: I swear Geoffrey was sick, with 'something' from the day I adopted him. He always vomited. It took a long time, for me to say, I have had enough and want a biopsy!! Tried too many food changes, Nobel proteins... I was convinced. So, who knows how long he had the SCL.. The biopsy came back as a Level 2.... out of 4...

It has been a continuous 34 weeks with the chlorambucil/streroid combo. He is having a ton of fur loss along his spine.
I feel it is either from the Budesonide or Stress. He seems to be having more anxiety to noises. I think I am going to ask the Vet for a calming medication.. since he cannot have any chicken-- allergic to all treats. and normal cat food.

Over the past few weeks, I have found that Geoffrey is really tired of all his medications-- fighting me with the pills. He is such a good cat.. with what ever I do to him. Not much of a fighter; unless...

FeebysOwner FeebysOwner I wish you luck and love... :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feeby is so fortunate to have you fighting for her, loving her......just follow your gut instincts and do as the oncologist suggests, they have seen so much. Enjoy and love that precious girl for as long as you can. And then past that......i will pray for you both, keep your chin up!