No Sunbeams In New Apartment

brdwybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, guys. We moved earlier this week, and it wasn’t my choice. I’m trying so hard to be at peace with this, but I’m just not. My cat has a history of anxiety, just like me. She also hasn’t adjusted well to moving in the past. Well, here’s a couple concerns...

Our neighbors downstairs have two infants that scream their heads off day and night. My cat has always been afraid of children, though I don’t know why. Every time they get fussy, she hides. There’s a lot more people around at this building, as it’s not nearly as private. And strangers make her nervous. She keeps growling at them and then hiding in her new hiding spot.

Two, someone in the building is smoking pot almost nightly and I’m worried about the stench (NOT the smoke, just the stench) being bad for her.

I also don’t know how she’s doing with the views. She had wonderful wooded views right behind our other place, just a sidewalks-distance away from the windows. And they were eye-level. The new view is higher up and much farther away, and the birds don’t seem to come hang out on the balcony like they did back home. She seems to hang out at that window, so I guess she can see something. But I haven’t seen her really “hunting” or darting at the windows for anything like I used to. The side windows are right next to pine trees, which she can look straight into, but she doesn’t seem interested. There’s no window sills for her to sit in anymore.

And four—and most importantly—my cat LOVED sleeping in the sun all day at our old place. She reveled in it. Our windows faced east and west with very little to block the sunlight in between the rising and setting. She had continuous sunbeams all day long. Here? NOTHING. We’re facing north and south, and there’s huge trees blocking anything from the west. There’s only one window on the east, and it’s pitch black even during the day because of the building we’re in. I keep telling myself there’s a million people who have cats who live in apartments that don’t get sunbeams bursting through their windows for their cats to relish in, but it doesn’t help. I feel like I’m hurting her.

To most people this might be something to just wait out and let her get used to, but I suffer from something called Responsibility OCD, which I can’t help. This is something that is so severe that I’m on disability because of it. And my cat is what this branch of OCD focuses on... her needs, her safety. I feel like I am depriving my child and, thus, harming her. It’s weighing on me mentally, physically, and emotionally. Which doesn’t make her settling in any easier, as I know they pick up on OUR stress. It feels like it’s ripping me apart inside.

How detrimental are all these concerns? Half of me feels validated in my worries, while the other half feels crazy for being this upset. Any suggestions would be more than appreciated!

(Also for the pot thing, I can’t afford an air purifier any time soon.)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
The stench/fumes are probably not going to harm her.

Can you get a thermal pet bed? It's not sunshine but is warm.

Can you hang a bird feeder on your balcony to attract birds? Can you obtain a window "seat" for her, there are some with suction cups that might work?

Can you try both a fan (with the air flow directed in such a way that it doesn't bother her or make her cold but might help with the pot smell possibly) for a white noise effect for her and you, and also try low volume classical harp music, MusicForCats . com or an app called Relax My Cat.

For you, try some chamomile tea with honey. As you've mentioned, she will pick up on your stress. You might also check into lighting to help with sun deprivation.

Speaking of, can you take her for walks? Either in a harness or in a buggy, in the early hours before it gets busy? Sunshine is important for both of you :)

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also don't think the stench will be bad for her. I've been told some cats find it relaxing.

There is a good chance that if you can remain calm, I know that's hard, try counting very slowing, or inhale to "I'm serene" and exhale to "I'm at peace", she may come to accept and ignore the children. She will see/feel you are calm and will realize, in time, that the children can't get to her.

With apologies, Furballsmom Furballsmom , but I would wait a few weeks to take her on walks. Right now, I feel that she needs the security of the controlled environment of the apartment. Outside has too many variables for both of you. I fear you would be in a state of constant anxiety that a dog, a child, a car, even a rat or a fox might dash by you.

I would go to the other extreme and make the closet and nice cozy place that you can retreat to with her until you both settle a little. And as Furballsmom has said chamomile tea.

Perhaps your could use one of your moving boxes to make a little table by the window so she could look out.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In addition to all the suggestions above -

How about a cat tree to place underneath the high window, so she can easily get to it and sit there comfortably while looking out?

Maybe you could consider looking into these light therapy lamps that are supposed to mimic sunlight?
These Top-Rated Light Therapy Lamps Help Mimic Sunlight

And, for air deodorizers you can try bamboo charcoal air purifiers, beeswax candles, or salt lamps. Read about their natural properties and how they work to clean the air.
How to Naturally Clean Indoor Air | Wellness Mama

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
be very careful with candles. Cats have a nack, an urge, a will, to find the candle and walk close to it, to flip their tail in it, to catch themselves on fire. Our cat fled fast enough to put the flame out, but he was about 1.5 years and had a nice open stretch for his run. Cat seemed fine afterward, we were never quite the same.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe a HEPA air filter unit will help minimize the stench and other allergens along with other things like a bowl of vinegar or charcoal kept out of reach from the cat of course.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brdwybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In addition to all the suggestions above -

How about a cat tree to place underneath the high window, so she can easily get to it and sit there comfortably while looking out?

Maybe you could consider looking into these light therapy lamps that are supposed to mimic sunlight?

And, for air deodorizers you can try bamboo charcoal air purifiers, beeswax candles, or salt lamps. Read about their natural properties and how they work to clean the air.
How to Naturally Clean Indoor Air | Wellness Mama
Hey, everyone! Thanks for all your helpful replies! I love the idea of a bird feeder and will definitely be getting one now! As for the cat tree, we have a big luxurious one already. She used to lay in it every day, but she hasn’t been interested since the move. I’m hoping that will disappear in time. I’m also hoping I’m just overreacting to most of this. My main concern is the sunlight. It was bright and HOT today here in St. Louis, but in my apartment... nothing. It’s breaking my heart for her.

brdwybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
feebysowner has a really great idea here - maybe it would even work for her :)
I will look into these. It’s an extra expense I can’t afford right away. I hope they’re just as good as natural sunlight because, as I said, this is really breaking my heart. I don’t see how they could even compare, but who knows? I read that cats don’t actually need Vitamin D like we do, so I’m not exactly worried about that. I just know that’s her favorite thing—lounging in the sun. And both I and my best friend (who knows my cat very well, obviously) feel that taking her outdoors is just a no-go. She would most likely flip out.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
feel that taking her outdoors is just a no-go.
I understand. What about some streaming videos of squirrels and birds, --or in the future, a fake jellyfish tank?

Speaking of, take a look on Nextdoor . com, letgo and some of the other buy/sell sites for cat related things. It seems like Nextdoor always has something for cats - you might be able to pick up a thermal bed for less. I realize it isn't sunlight but it still provides warmth that might help her feel good about things :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It seems like Nextdoor always has something for cats - you might be able to pick up a thermal bed for less.
I personally wouldn't take a used pet product like a pet bed or furniture even if its free. The scent and fur of the previous cat may still linger on the item even if washed and your cat may get upset and act out in some way.

Check the lease on whether things like bird feeders can be attached to the exterior of windows. Some landlords have pretty strict rules in the lease.

Cats don't need direct sunlight and will adapt to a somewhat dark living space as long as there is a window that allows some natural light in.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I s'pose that's true, I was simply casting my line so to speak to see if there was an option for the OP since I've seen "new never used" items for sale at amazing prices :). Of course it's buyer beware, but still.

In any case hopefully this kitty acclimates in a short while :thumbsup:

brdwybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I personally wouldn't take a used pet product like a pet bed or furniture even if its free. The scent and fur of the previous cat may still linger on the item even if washed and your cat may get upset and act out in some way.

Check the lease on whether things like bird feeders can be attached to the exterior of windows. Some landlords have pretty strict rules in the lease.

Cats don't need direct sunlight and will adapt to a somewhat dark living space as long as there is a window that allows some natural light in.
This is comforting to know! Thank you. :) There’s definitely a big back door (sliding glass doors to the balcony) letting sunlight in—it’s just not the direct east/west sunbeams she used to lay in. She doesn’t seem nearly as interested in the window or her cat tree anymore, so I hope she just adapts and that’s something that gets back to normal. I’m going to look into some solar light bulbs and a NEW heated bed when I can. As for the bird feeder, my old neighbor had one. We only moved down the street—same landlord. I don’t think he cares what we do, to be honest. Thanks, guys!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There’s definitely a big back door (sliding glass doors to the balcony) letting sunlight in—it’s just not the direct east/west sunbeams she used to lay in.
There are ways to use mirrors to redirect sunlight/daylight from the sliding glass doors further into the room they are located in. See if this article might give you any ideas how to do that in your place.

How to Use Mirrors to Increase the Sunlight in Your Home