No Pets Allowed!

stevek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm looking for new place to live here in Florida and all I see is, "NO PETS".
What is going on here? I will have to pay at least 80 to 100 thousand dollars for a condo, townhouse or villa and I can't have a cat in my own home. There must be some way by law to bypass this stupid rule. Someone please help me or give advice. Thanks

blue_monday_88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's surprising...you own your own home/condo etc and you should be allowed to have pets as long as you dang well please! I can understand rent facilities having these kinds of rules. But most places I know of have pet deposits...usually unrefundable. But worth it, if you have pets. Also, if you are renting, ask if this rule only applies to large pets, like dobermans or retrievers...most places allow small house pets like cats if you ask (don't quote me on it).

But if you are buying something, you *own* something, no law is going to tell me I can't have a pet! This is my property, you can leave!

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's terribly annoying the whole 'no pets' thing! I went through a similar thing, but I am renting!

Doe the rule have something to do with the fact that the places you are looking to buy are leasehold? If you can find anywhere that is freehold, you can do what you like, as you will own the property and land outright!

Maybe if you speak to the leaseholder and explain the situation (I did this with my present Landlady and am allowed to house my cats here), they may be able to allow you!

I wish you lots of luck with it, I know how tiring and worrying it can all be!

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've always run into that situation with renting and must pay a nonrefundable deposit for my girls, but I didn't realize this was a problem when buying a home, as well. How frustrating!

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never heard of such a thing when you are BUYING a place! I`d keep looking....that`s just crazy!
Linda

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girlfriend had to get special permission from her strata to have a cat, and she owns her villa. It was also a condition that she had a cat that couldn't get out, so she got a British shorthair (not very good at jumping) and had special fencing and surrounds made. I thought that was very unfair seeing as she owned her house but it is in a complex of eight villas so I guess that's the reason for it.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you're buying a townhouse or condo, you're dealing with a homeowners' association. They can be real PITAs. Whatever you do, don't buy and then break the rules. These people can and WILL take you to court and possibly file a lien against your property.

HOAs are why I'm buying and acre and a manufactured home. As long as I'm complying with the health department's rules, I can have up to four dogs and four cats. IMO, you should look for a place that doesn't have an HOA.

roxy_loves_cj

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Also another route is to ask your dr. to prescribe your cats for stress relief purposes. Then if someone says that you cannot have them it is seen as discrimination because they are classified as a service animal, same as a seeing eye dog. That is how I have my cats now in a no pet apartment. Its a small loophole that very few people know about.

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's up to the landlords on that one and there is no way around it. If they say no pets then no pets sorry. If you go aganist that rule you could face eviction and fines. Sucks doesn't it

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about buying your own home? Then no one can tell you that you can`t have pets....can it really be any more expensive than buying a condo etc?
Linda

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SteveK

I'm looking for new place to live here in Florida and all I see is, "NO PETS".
What is going on here? I will have to pay at least 80 to 100 thousand dollars for a condo, townhouse or villa and I can't have a cat in my own home. There must be some way by law to bypass this stupid rule. Someone please help me or give advice. Thanks
$80 a month? I'm moving to Florida!
(I know you meant $800)

I would suggest offering them a pet deposit. This is what a friend of mine did in her condo with a NO PETS rule.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never owned a home, and I probably never will... but I'd live in a cardboard box before I'd buy property that put me under the thumb of a homeowner's association.

Hmph.