No pedigree, but curious as to what breed or mix my cat looks the most similar too

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I wrote an article about this recently:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/what-breed-is-my-cat

She's a very pretty kitten! Hard for me to tell for sure if she's a DSH or DLH, but one of the two (Domestic Short hair or Domestic Long Hair, respectively). I wish to tread lightly regarding that beautiful coat color variation she has.... She's a tricolor as far as I can see and also has clear tabby markings. Initially I thought she might be a torbie (tabby + tortoiseshell), but I think I see a white patch on her chest? In which case calico and tabby is probably better.

Does that help?

alexh17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Who cares- she's gorgeous!!!!!!!!

On a serious note... i'd go with a tabby that has long haired domestic mixed? I want her!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats aren't "mixed breeds"--they're "just cats" :D. Plus, all fluffy kittens look alike. So nobody can even say what breed she may resemble at this point. When she's grown she might end up looking like a Maine Coon or a Norwegian Forest Cat. Or not :tongue2:. But she is a very pretty domestic longhair. I'd call her a torbie (tabby/tortie).

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On a serious note... i'd go with a tabby that has long haired domestic mixed? I want her!
Tabby isn't a breed, it's a coat pattern.

She seems to be a tortie tabby, possibly with white

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A very pretty domestic longhair - a moggie.  Probably no pedigree cats in her ancestry at all.

Pattern is tortie-tabby (torbie in the US) or tortie-tabby & white.  Does she have any white on her feet, or pink pads?  Not sure if that's a white patch on her chest or the pale chin tabby cats usually have.

Last edited:

asmodeipress

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wish I could tell you, very cute.  I have a strange looking cat myself who looks like a leopard printed siamese cat who has a peppery dorsal stripe and honey brown tiger stripes on her legs.  I think you just got a cute cuddler with a big heart there.  I suppose in due time you'll be able to really find out through her size.  Coat patterns do not become a final distinction until after their third year so she could do a complete flip.  My baby began as a pure white kitten with snowy blue eyes and ended up looking like something that belonged in a jungle by her third birthday.  If she gets big maybe she has a little coon in her.  May be an old wives tale when I say this but someone once told me that if there is a big 'M' striped on their foreheads you probably have a very diluted maine coon/forest breed.  Fur between the paws usually means a heavier set cat from colder climates too.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coat patterns do not become a final distinction until after their third year

May be an old wives tale when I say this but someone once told me that if there is a big 'M' striped on their foreheads you probably have a very diluted maine coon/forest breed. 
Pointed cats take time to fully colour up, most do not take 3 years. 

The M on the forehead is quite incorrect, all tabbies have M's - pedigrees and moggies. My Ocicats are most certainly not Coonies 

Last edited:

olivers mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our almost-five-month-old Oliver is a rescue kitty found on a highway.  So named because he's a little Dickens.  He talks a lot and presents angular features, possibly some Siamese in there somewhere?  I find the champagne coat beautiful.

I've never had a Siamese or champagne kitty.  He's a handful, living full out!  Interested if anyone here picks up on anything in his photo.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it just your avatar photo? That's all I can see, and it's very small. He seems to be either Red or Cream domestic short hair. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oliver seems perhaps to be a little "orientalish", ie somewhat alike a Oriental.