No Idea What To Do. Cat Making House His Toilet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GQE3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If he does have fragments, the litter type won't matter until the fragments are removed.

The fact that the cat likes soft things and goes out of his way to pee and poop on them makes me think he associates the litter box with pain. It hurts to use it, so he goes somewhere else.

Ruling out a UTI, I'd get x-rays of his paws to see if he's having any issues from declawing.
He uses the box to poop quite regularly. The peeing is much more frequent (daily) for example this morning he pooped in the litter box but pulled a jacket down to pee on it. The pooping out of the box is quite random. If his paws hurt it doesn’t make a lot of sense that he will most often poop in the box but not pee in it? I have not X-rayed his feet but vet did look, feel, palpate etc his paws with this all originality started.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I Your posts are clear and explicit and calm. Yes, your posts are very calm given what you're living through. More so than speech could be if for no other reason than the vet won't let you talk that long. Each appointment is supposed to be about 15 minutes. That's why I thought and think you ought to copy your posts, all of them and send them to your vet. They make it clear that this is an extreme case and that it is time for the last resort.

Your post make it clear that you have tried everything that anyone can think of. That you have done what your vet suggested and that you love your cat and despair for him, your family and yourself. No one could do more. I can't imagine what your vet is waiting for.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart breaks for you and your cat. This sort of peeing tells me he is not happy.

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, man, I feel for you.
I had a kitty once who started pooping outside his box. He used his box to pee in, he even found the box entertaining, as it was one of those automatic ones. He figured out he could set it off by jumping in and out of it, and then he'd paw at it as it went by.
I took him to multiple vets in 2 states, tested him for everything they could think of, bought every gadget on the market, and basically lost my mind. It went on every single day for 2 years before I pulled the plug on that one.

Thankfully, someone my mom worked with had taken kitties in like that before, and she took him. As far as I know, she never had another problem. That kitty was also declawed, all 4 feet. I adopted him like that. This was many years ago (about 16, I'd say), and I didn't know about bone fragments being left behind or anything like that. I wish I had.

My case wasn't as extreme as yours, especially since it was poop, not pee, but I woke up every single morning, bawling my eyes out because I was at the end of my rope.

I wish I had something of substance to add. My heart goes out to you, your family, and this kitty.

I'm still in the kitty prozac camp, or whichever drug would work best for him.

GQE3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok guys, I’m back with a positive update!! He continued daily on his mission to pee on everything and about a week ago ( not sure on exact date as the holidays have my brain fried) my mom suggested she give him a try as a last ditch effort. She has no dogs, one cat, a very quiet clutter free home. I had absolutely no faith it would work but desperately wanted a break from the disaster and stress so agreed to try. Well, I took him over with one of our cat boxes, food, litter, a bed...it’s been several days now and he’s been perfect, no messes!! He’s using the box regularly and is seemingly getting along with her cat.
I don’t know if it’s a Christmas miracle or what but I am so relieved to know he’s safe, we can visit whenever we want, get daily updates and he seems to be settled right in. I’m praying it continues but so far so good!

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok guys, I’m back with a positive update!! He continued daily on his mission to pee on everything and about a week ago ( not sure on exact date as the holidays have my brain fried) my mom suggested she give him a try as a last ditch effort. She has no dogs, one cat, a very quiet clutter free home. I had absolutely no faith it would work but desperately wanted a break from the disaster and stress so agreed to try. Well, I took him over with one of our cat boxes, food, litter, a bed...it’s been several days now and he’s been perfect, no messes!! He’s using the box regularly and is seemingly getting along with her cat.
I don’t know if it’s a Christmas miracle or what but I am so relieved to know he’s safe, we can visit whenever we want, get daily updates and he seems to be settled right in. I’m praying it continues but so far so good!
Wonderful! I had a similar experience years ago with a cat. He just one day started pooping outside the box, peeing inside. I took him to multiple vets, ran tests (everything was OK medically,) bought every fandangled gadget known to man, tried different litters, it goes on and on. After 2 solid years of this, it got to the point that I'd wake up crying because I know that would be a repeat of the days before. When I moved back to this state, a couple my mom worked with said they'd had luck with kitties like this before and offered to take him. I was heartbroken to lose him, but mentally, I couldn't take one more second. They took him in, and as far as I know, they never had another problem.

I'm so glad it seems to be working.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
YOUR MOM ROCKS!!!
Definitely tell her for us, would you:)?
This is SO a Christmas miracle, I can't believe it WOW!!
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this to continue almost as much as you are.

:gift::gift::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::gift::gift:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh holy cow, you might not be able to believe this but you just made my whole day. This is worth two posts, I'm so thrilled and thankful!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And, one more, --you yourself deserve an incredible amount of kudos as well, because you kept him. You didn't take the route that many might have of a shelter or whatever.

I personally hope that you and your family, and your mom, and all your furry gang have a most awesome and wonderful 2019 and on.

GQE3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!! I can’t tell you what the advice and support has meant on here. I know this was an especially tough case. The amount of relief I have to know he’s in good hands, see him and continue to have him part of the family-yet separately is unexplainable. I did not believe this would have a happy ending after all this time and how it was seemingly snowballing daily. I was preparing myself to have to make a very difficult and unimaginable decision. I’m so thankful my mom suggested to give him a try and that so far he is settling right in and being so good!! I am so grateful.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you!! I can’t tell you what the advice and support has meant on here. I know this was an especially tough case. The amount of relief I have to know he’s in good hands, see him and continue to have him part of the family-yet separately is unexplainable. I did not believe this would have a happy ending after all this time and how it was seemingly snowballing daily. I was preparing myself to have to make a very difficult and unimaginable decision. I’m so thankful my mom suggested to give him a try and that so far he is settling right in and being so good!! I am so grateful.
So very glad to hear this news. I hope the change of environment remains a positive one for everybody involved. :clap:

lre17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wonderful!!!!!! I am so glad it all worked out for you. You worked hard and earned this happy ending-now breath relax and enjoy your 2019:woohoo::woo:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:dance::grouphug:

I guess some cats just don't like dogs. I'm thrilled you had this solution. Your mom is the bestest, which I guess is where you got it from.