No Idea What To Do. Cat Making House His Toilet.

mbandow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I don't have a lot of time right now to go through my WHOLE history but I have to throw my experience in quickly because the OP's posts could have been written by me word for word a few months ago. I have two female cats born from the same litter in July 2015, they were orphaned and thanks to this website i was able to figure out how to bottle feed them and they have been my little best friends ever since. In June 2016 we moved homes and in December 2016 we brought our little miracle (human) baby home! They have always been anxious about visitors in our home and going to the vet but i attributed that to the fact they were bottle fed and to be honest, they have always been a little strange from a behavior standpoint. Seemingly out of nowhere in March 2018 they started peeing anyway and everywhere. Because there are two of them we had a hard time figuring out whether is was one or both or what was going on so after ALOT of money and ALOT of vet visits we ran out of options. they had both been treated for UTI's and we switched the a special urinary + calm diet, we switched out littler boxes , litter, feliway everything we could think of, but they were still peeing. I was crying almost everyday bc I knew we couldn't afford to keep them if something didn't get figured out. Our vet basically said we can try Prozac but if that didn't work, she had nothing else for me. The prescription costs $4.00 at Walmart and I was instructed to give each cat 1/2 a pill daily. within a week there was a change and I can honestly say I have not had to clean up cat urine since the second week of Prozac therapy. It has been a miracle for me and I am so grateful that this has made it possible for me to keep my family together. I know medication isn't the most ideal route but for now it is buying me time and sanity. My cats (Agatha and Milly) seem so much happier and relaxed, it has been a complete 180. I eventually want to try to transition them from Prozac to CBD oil but my vet wants to talk to some colleagues who have more experience with that first.

I understand where you are coming from and I remember feeling that desperation. It was causing stress in my marriage not to mention financial stress from vet visits and buying feliway/ natures miracle by the gallon on Amazon. when I saw your post I had to share my success story. I hope however you decide to proceed, you do it with the utmost compassion for your little friend. God Bless!

lre17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry you are dealing with this. Potty issues are no fun for anyone. It is a long shot but if you are considering rehoming have you reached out to local farms? I know many in my area keep cats around (usual ones that shelters call "hard to place" because of bathroom trouble) to keep bugs etc. away

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GQE3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for replies and sorry I haven’t responded in a long time. I’ve tried many options and nothing has worked out so far-as I try to give him a shot at life somewhere. All of the rescue/sanctuaries that would take one like this are full with wait lists around my area. I’ve called the shelters and that doesn’t seem like the best option. ire17 I actually have a horse farm. I’ve also considered taking him out there but I’m concerned he will pee all over important things out there. He is also declawed which has kept me from taking him there-but I’m still considering it out of total and utter desperation. I just can’t have things in the Stables getting destroyed either.

Just to update I’ve continued to try everything. The behavior continues to get more extreme. Three days ago I went grocery shopping, set bags on floor, turned to toss something in trash and when I turned back around he was IN a grocery bag peeing. He obviously destroyed all the food. I’ve never heard of such a outrageous thing. This morning he pulled a coat off the hook and pooped on it. There’s been a lot more but I think everyone understands how extreme it is. Lots of helpful suggestions but unfortunately nothing has helped or even reduced the behavior, it’s actually gotten worse. So basically I am trying to avoid putting him down and looking for other realistic options.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It doesn't sound like you contained him in a room with only litter boxes, pee pads and plastic shower curtains on whatever can't be moved out, because you said that he yowls and shreds the carpet. How is that worse than this?

In any case, have you tried Nextdoor . com? It is a somewhat safer alternative as a way to perhaps find someone who'd be able to take him.

Have you talked with a behaviorist?

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
From the posts I've read, people seem to have a lot of good ideas - some you've tried, and some I don't think you have. Here's another take:

If your vet has taken the time to do testing for all possible ailments, what about pills? They have kitty Prozac. I'm not sure what it's called specifically, but that's supposed to help pets with anxiety/stress related issues.

I just asked my vet about it because one of my kitties has almost licked himself bald on one side. The vet says it looks like an overgrooming/OCD kind of thing because the hair is broken, and he's not actually balding. She's still testing him for various things before we go the pill route, but maybe it's something to check into with your kitty.

One of my co-workers did that with a cat that she was having similar problems with (urinating everywhere,) and she had really good luck with it.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you do give him to a kill shelter and don't tell them what he's doing, it may give him a terrible death. Some one might adopt him who would simply throw him outside when confronted with the peeing. If you must give him up and can't find a place in the no kill shelter, then I agree with Willowy that the kindest thing to do is put him to sleep. He will finally be at peace, he won't suffer a long and possibly torturous death, and you won't spend every night wondering if he's trying to survive without claws on the street.

GQE3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It doesn't sound like you contained him in a room with only litter boxes, pee pads and plastic shower curtains on whatever can't be moved out, because you said that he yowls and shreds the carpet. How is that worse than this?

In any case, have you tried Nextdoor . com? It is a somewhat safer alternative as a way to perhaps find someone who'd be able to take him.

Have you talked with a behaviorist?
We’ve tried containing him in several different ways. Crate, bathroom, kids room, laundry room. He howled and bit at the cage and still didn’t use litter box, I thought he was going to pull his teeth out biting and pulling at the cage. He used his teeth to tear up carpets near door in the bedroom, he used teeth to damage the door frames/molding around doors in laundry room and bathroom as well as pull towels down to pee on.
I had placed him on some rehoming sites. But not surprisingly no interest.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One more last thought, since he likes soft things, what about putting one of those pee'd on towels in a litterbox? Try that, if he likes it you might have something.

GQE3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried a canned food only diet?
I have tried canned food on multiple occasions, he literally will not touch it...I’ve tried mixing it with dry food and still absolutely refuses to even go near it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did you try other toppers for that canned food?
tuna, mixing tuna juice with it, bonito flakes, fortiflora, treats that he likes, a couple of canned green beans, whipped topping like reddi whip, ham flavored gerber stage 2/sitter baby food...

GQE3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One more last thought, since he likes soft things, what about putting one of those pee'd on towels in a litterbox? Try that, if he likes it you might have something.
I have not tried that and can try that. I don’t want to mess up my other cat who does reliably use the box. I have several but seems both will only go into the one. I’ll give it a shot. I’m literally just sitting in here in tears. He got on the dining table yesterday and pooped and peed on my daughters homework and just a few moments ago peed allover my tree skirt under the Christmas tree. My home is ruined and I feel defeated and totally exhausted. I really can’t expre the impact this is having on my life and family. We need to be able to sell our home but it’s been so destroyed we can’t. Carpets need to go again and now some molding and dry wall. Furniture, rugs, clothes. I feel like I’m hostage. I’m so tired and defeated. I’ll put the tree skirt he just ruined in his litter box and see.

GQE3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did you try other toppers for that canned food?
tuna, mixing tuna juice with it, bonito flakes, fortiflora, treats that he likes, a couple of canned green beans, whipped topping like reddi whip, ham flavored gerber stage 2/sitter baby food...
I have tried tuna, tuna juice, other canned fish like salmon and mackerel. I’ve mixed in bits of chicken. He won’t touch it. I’ve never tried the other suggestions. He’s not a treat eater and never has interest any people Foods at all. My other cat does but not the one who pees.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My heart is all tied up in knots for the both of you, I'm so incredibly sorry this is going on!!

vet confirmed years ago when this started. He has always been compulsive as in grooms his belly until hairless, lots of calling out, he eats all sorts of things such as hair ties, anything plastic he can find, even legos then vomits it up later.
Can you talk with a different vet? If you can get a video of his behavior and show that to a different vet, they may be less likely to be requesting a lot of tests.

GQE3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
From the posts I've read, people seem to have a lot of good ideas - some you've tried, and some I don't think you have. Here's another take:

If your vet has taken the time to do testing for all possible ailments, what about pills? They have kitty Prozac. I'm not sure what it's called specifically, but that's supposed to help pets with anxiety/stress related issues.

I just asked my vet about it because one of my kitties has almost licked himself bald on one side. The vet says it looks like an overgrooming/OCD kind of thing because the hair is broken, and he's not actually balding. She's still testing him for various things before we go the pill route, but maybe it's something to check into with your kitty.

One of my co-workers did that with a cat that she was having similar problems with (urinating everywhere,) and she had really good luck with it.
I’ve definitely gotten wonderful and much appreciated advice. I have tried so many things, more than I can probably even recall to be honest. My vet was not very supportive on the Prozac front for several reasons I guess. The behavior is varied and so extreme and he hasn’t seen much success with having prescribed these to other cats.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you try Friskies Shreds? I've literally tried every single can of cat food at every single store and this is the only one my boy cat will eat now.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For possibilities, Applaws is a brand that might work as a topper and there are some other brands.
Also some odd things he might go for that other cats on the site like are lettuce, applesauce, chickpeas, black olives, mushrooms, ice cream, dry pasta noodles.

Regarding calming products, there are more available than what your current vet seems to be aware of. I'm hoping that a different vet would be knowledgeable about these, and would want to work with you and your cat to find a balance that works - at least until you can get the house fixed and sold :vibes::hugs:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your vet won't work with you, if there's another one in your area I'd consider at least one consultation visit.

Sometimes there really is nothing they can do, but I'd think trying the medication is a reasonable step to expect from your vet.

GQE3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My heart is all tied up in knots for the both of you, I'm so incredibly sorry this is going on!!

Can you talk with a different vet? If you can get a video of his behavior and show that to a different vet, they may be less likely to be requesting a lot of tests.
I probably could get video of most of this behavior. Sometimes he’s sneaky but many times he’s not and does things right in front of you. The eating of odd things can be aggressive-if you have a hair elastic around your wrist he will jump on you and try to pull it off, and not gently , he has no issue biting to get a band off or even rings on your fingers.
The peeing and pooping used to be very, very sneaky but now he will do it right in front of me .
I do trust my vet. He’s been my vet for 13 years. He’s a wonderful, kind vet who always does what he thinks is best for both owner and let. I’m not sure how I’d feel about going elsewhere. I have spoken to another vet who is a close friend of a friend who also wasn’t putting a lot of stock in Prozac .

GQE3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For possibilities, Applaws is a brand that might work as a topper and there are some other brands.
Also some odd things he might go for that other cats on the site like are lettuce, applesauce, chickpeas, black olives, mushrooms, ice cream, dry pasta noodles.

Regarding calming products, there are more available than what your current vet seems to be aware of. I'm hoping that a different vet would be knowledgeable about these, and would want to work with you and your cat to find a balance that works - at least until you can get the house fixed and sold :vibes::hugs:
Ok interesting, I will try them. Have people really seen cats discontinue peeing in house because they eat wet food?

I’ve tried the diffuser and I’ve tried other herbal remedies for animals over the years and even more recently. I think I’ve bought the entire isle of natural remedies for stress anxiety for cats...no change at all. I’ll call and ask about the Prozac or other meds. I just...my own stress level is totally through the roof because it’s relentless. I used to get a few days break but over past few weeks it’s every day sometimes more than once a day. The cat runs the household, I live in constant anxiety because of this. Nothing is safe anywhere. Not on a table or counter, nowhere. My husband had to run home from work the other day because he kept smelling pee....well his coat had been peed on-it was hung over a chair....it’s just so bad.