No hump after sub-q fluids

Peaceandcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I gave my little one sub-q fluids for the first time last night with no issues whatsoever. However, no hump formed. Did I just not find it? Or was she so severely dehydrated that it was immediately absorbed?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How much fluid did you give her? Feeby has only had sub-Q fluids 2-3 times, out of an abundance of caution from being 'slightly dehydrated'. She received 100ml each time, and there was never a fluid pocket of any kind. So, not having a hump/pocket of fluids develop would not seem to be a true indicator of severe dehydration.

You could call your vet's office and ask how common/uncommon it is to have a fluid pocket develop for the volume your cat received.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Peaceandcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How much fluid did you give her? Feeby has only had sub-Q fluids 2-3 times, out of an abundance of caution from being 'slightly dehydrated'. She received 100ml each time, and there was never a fluid pocket of any kind. So, not having a hump/pocket of fluids develop would not seem to be a true indicator of severe dehydration.

You could call your vet's office and ask how common/uncommon it is to have a fluid pocket develop for the volume your cat received.
Thank you, I feel a bit better now. It was 100 ml. My vet is closed on the weekend.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sometimes, gravity may cause the fluids to accumulate lower down on the chest or tummy; so that could be another reason for not clearly seeing a pocket or hump. If you took a bit longer to administer the fluids, and/or used a smaller gauged needle that might attribute to how the fluids are distributed. I presume you won't be giving fluids again before the vet opens again, so you can still call them then and ask.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Peaceandcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sometimes, gravity may cause the fluids to accumulate lower down on the chest or tummy; so that could be another reason for not clearly seeing a pocket or hump. If you took a bit longer to administer the fluids, and/or used a smaller gauged needle that might attribute to how the fluids are distributed. I presume you won't be giving fluids again before the vet opens again, so you can still call them then and ask.
I used the 18 gauge needle the vet gave me.and hung the bag fairly high. It was quite quick. Yes, I will hold off until I call the vet, though.