No Fur Regrowth After Ringworm

Weeze1219

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

In February 2017 my cat got ringworm - no idea how, my others never had it and they're strictly indoors. Wondering if it incubated after exposure at his foster home - which included dogs - but that was 9 months previous.

Anyway, he lost a significant amount of belly hair, armpits, and a bit on back legs. It is now 13 months and it has not grown back. Is this common and can anything be done?

Thanks!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've never heard of this before, and can't find anything about that specific issue online! I DID, however, find a respected veterinary site that welcomed questions via email, and shot a message off to them about the situation. I have no clue if I'll get an answer, but if I do, YOU will be the first person to know!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Weeze1219

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much! I did an Internet search as well and couldn't find anything relevant. When I called the vet they did say that it can take a long time for regrowth, and sometimes never (I guess in some cases the hair follicles are destroyed??). I was curious if others have experienced this and if there's any possible restitution.

Weeze1219

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just realized I named the wrong year . . . it was last year, 2018, not 2017, that he had ringworm, so 13 months ago.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. My Feeby didn't have ringworm, but she did not grow back hair after surgery. She has a place on her arm, where the IV was that has always been kind of bald - not like it once was, but that was also 9 years ago. There is a spot on her belly where her spay incision was that still is missing some degree of hair - that was 12 years ago.

I just think it might be inherent in some cats that they cannot/do not fully grow back hair that has been removed - one way or another. But, give it more time, it might just come back over a longer period of time - like as in Feeby's case, years and years.

Weeze1219

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply. I had heard about problems with regrowth post surgery or even shaving/grooming. Especially noticeable 'cause my cat is long-haired.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You could do a "comb over" - no, just kidding. You gotta put all in perspective, if it grows back eventually, great; if it doesn't you love him just the way he is anyway. And, I doubt that he cares so much!!

But, do hope that Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 comes up with a more professional opinion for you!!

Weeze1219

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Comb-over - :lol:

I just feel bad for him that he's missing his belly fur, especially since he's long-haired. If it never grows back of course that won't affect my love for him one iota, but if there's something I can do I'd like to know.

Thanks for your reply.

Weeze1219

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks . . . if he hadn't been tested for and had confirmation for ringworm by the vet I'd be looking into whether he's licking excessively, etc, but it definitely was ringworm. Luckily my other cat didn't get it. The vet mentioned that maybe his immune system was weak when he was exposed, I don't know; guess that would mean his bro-from-another-mo has a strong one?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Even among litter mates, the genes can be very different... So, anything is possible. You are super lucky that your other guy didn't get it, very easy to transmit - you could have even gotten it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

LSCNancy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI I'm from NJ to maybe it's in our air! Our Pur Black Cat Felix Unger had this ringworm Last Year it was awful. It's a fungus that for some reason just effects certain cats because none of our others got it. Anyway it wasn't pretty. Here's what we did, we bought organic coconut oil. & everyday 2 & 3 times a day we put it on his body. Yes it was an oily mess but he smelled great. What this did was it dried the areas out where his fur was not growing back. We peeled/scrapped that part of the dried areas off & re-applied the oil. We did this for about 3 weeks and ALL HIS HAIR CAME BACK IN THICK AND JET BACK AND That took about 4 to 5 months until it was 100% He was 80% bald at the worst part of this nasty fungus. He licked the coconut oil a little not too bad it didn't make him sick. The thing is you would have nothing to lose by trying it because it's Less than $5.00 in Aldi's it's used for flea & tick removal it's good for the skin & hair & it smells great! I use it on my hair & my hair is down to my ass. It must get in follicles and stimulate nurich & clean them out. All the sites that talk about how to grow human hair all say to use ORGANIC COCONUT OIL. So it has to have something to do with that hair shaft. Call your vet 1st & just make sure it's ok to try it. He may want you to use that Cone & just keep him in a room or area where you can lay down a old comforter or something so you don't get oil on your rugs, floors, & furniture. He's going to
get some cat litter on him as well you'll have to rub that off with a towel. it's worth a shot. Let me know what you decided this photo was right after the night mare was over. LSCNancy

LSCNancy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to tell you, the coconut oil has to be heated up so it's liquid & about 72 degrees. not hot warm. He even lost the fur on his nose and that came back too. awful thing plus we as humans can get it from them when it's red and active. You don't have to worry about that now. I hope you try it. Nancy

Weeze1219

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for your input, Nancy! I'll look for the oil next time I'm at Aldi.

Weeze1219

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For anyone interested . . . I wound up using Camrosa Ointment and all his fur returned. I didn't even use it for very long, only about a week, but he hated my applying it on him, so since it's kinda' greasy I removed what I could with a damp rag and stopped. Good stuff!