No Antibiotics After Tooth Extractions

ashekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, I apologize for all of the new threads. My cat just got four teeth removed and wasn’t prescribed antibiotics. I asked about it, and they said it was a case by case basis and they didn’t think she needed it. Is this normal? They were great about everything though, they used the type of anesthesia and pain medication I wanted.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Zephyr wasn't given an antibiotic when he had his dental work done and ended up having two teeth removed. It was a little over a year ago and he recovered fine without issues.

Hugospal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hugo had 6, and then 7 teeth extracted between two yearly dentals and we didn't do antibiotics. All was well.

FakeGourmet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As vet said, they do it on a case by case. Alice had two teeth extracted, but no antibiotics. She had complications, but infection wasn't one of them.

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please help. Jack my ragdoll had 2 obsorbed 1st molars bottom same side. And cleaning He gave antibiotic shot and steroid shot for inflammation. 10 he's later he's not eating. He has sutures. Luck's his mouth alot. He did throw up once. Paces alot then gets by self. Should I offer him soft room tempt food out of my hand to temp him. He wasn't eating good at all before due to dental pain. Will the steroid shot hurt him? I'm so scared.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has he not eaten well for 10 days or did he just stop eating now? He should probably go back in for a follow up and see if the vet wants to give him another shot. The shot will feel like a pinch, you know I am sure you had shots before, but its better then doing nothing. I would tempt him with other foods to get him to eat also.

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry typing bad. I meant on Thursday was 10 hours after surgery not eating
Today 3 days later he eats just enough. Drinks and urinates. He wasn't eating alot before extractions due to pain. But his last stool was 2 nites before dental. Today is day 5 no stool. I did put 1 teasp of miralax in his water tuna treat. I guess repeat in morning. Is this something to worry about?
Another question. Vet doesn't schedule follow up is this ok not to check after a week or so or is it the normal for vets

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, I apologize for all of the new threads. My cat just got four teeth removed and wasn’t prescribed antibiotics. I asked about it, and they said it was a case by case basis and they didn’t think she needed it. Is this normal? They were great about everything though, they used the type of anesthesia and pain medication I wanted.
How is your cat doing?

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As vet said, they do it on a case by case. Alice had two teeth extracted, but no antibiotics. She had complications, but infection wasn't one of them.
Concerned... how did your cat do? Jack's eating some but no bowel movement 5 days. There is no follow up scheduled after 2 removed. Did your pet heal well any issues with no stools