Nine-month-old Mother Seems Sick Two Days in a Row

ShereKhanDickon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today is the second afternoon in a row. Yesterday, around 5PM "Scout!" seemed really sick. There were several bouts of upchucking with lots of liquid.

She seemed very lethargic and did not want to be handled, which is quite unusual for her. She sat like the Sphinx for about two hours, then she returned to her perfect litter of four. They are just over a week old and I see some eyes beginning to open.

Yesterday evening and this morning were perfectly normal. She apparently slept with the kids. They are in a box upstairs and I have been keeping her inside since the blessed event. Whew! Scout! is back to normal.

Uh-oh. Today, except for the upchucking, everything is happening again. I'm not convinced she is eating enough and I'm not convinced the litter is getting enough. Like yesterday, I wonder if she could be dying.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmm. Does she eat all of her food when you give it to her? Are the kittens gaining like they should? Any other symptoms? When my cat was lethargic, I thought that he was going to die but, nope. His problem was that he caught a rodent and ate to much of it. :lol: I strongly suggest taking her to vet ASAP.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ShereKhanDickon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Scout! does not seem to be eating like normal, even when she returns to normal behavior. The litter seems to be gaining, but then, I am not completely certain. They are active in their box. I suppose they would be yelling if they are hungry, hungry.

Other than yesterday's upchucking, no other symptoms.

As of 3PM, Scout! is up and around again.

I was planning to take her to the veterinarian today, but then she returned to normal behavior. I'll plan on the vet tomorrow. I suppose she will perk up again, but I wonder about the litter. The kitten eyes are beginning to open.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's good! I would still take her to the vet as soon as possible. Is she being free-fed? Yes, the kittens would be hollering if they are hungry. You haven't weighed them at all? Kittens' eyes start opening about ten days after birth.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Go ahead and take her to the vet later this morning. You have five lives depending on this, and what ever it is, sooner seen, sooner mended.