Nine month old kitty peeing and pooping a lot, but not drinking a lot?

punkypaws

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, all. I found this forum while searching for information about kitties and their bathroom habits. I have some questions I couldn't get the internet to provide me answers for, so if anyone could read my post and give me some information or advice, I would really appreciate it. :heart3: Thank you.

About a month ago my fiancee brought home a sweet and wonderful eight month old female cat as a surprise gift for me. He told me he had her checked out at a vet before bringing her to me, but since we've adopted her I've developed a few concerns. The thing that is worrying me the very most is that she pees and poops so much that I don't know where she could even hold all of it since she's small. She was very skinny when my fiancee brought her home. She's looking much better now and I think we feed her a pretty normal amount, so I'm not sure if the people who had her before fed her well or not. We give her one pouch of wet food a day, about 85 grams in a pouch, a bowl of dry food and a bowl of water. With that, I'm cleaning out her litter box at least twice a day. She's leaving some very large pees in her box as well as some more "normal" or smaller sized ones and it's similar with her poops. I've noticed she was pooping and peeing a whole lot, but I don't think we're feeding her too much and the water bowl usually isn't missing much water when I freshen it up and give her new water. I don't leave any water in the sink for her to drink either, so I questioned if the amount she's peeing is normal or not. She also doesn't usually finish her dry food before I give her new food the next day.

After searching on the internet, I'm so very worried. My fiancee doesn't want to take her to the vet. He tells me not to worry so much and that she's okay, but I'm going to try and have him get an appointment for her this week or next week. I would do it myself, but we live in Germany and my German is not great.

She seems to be happy. She loves people and loves to play. She can even be pretty hyper active at times during the day or night. She sleeps more on some days than others. I'm just so worried about her. I really want her to be healthy and I hope she's feeling good. Has anyone had any experiences like this with any of their cats and should I be as concerned as I am? Any responses would mean a lot.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats won't drink much if they eat mostly wet food.  
If she is eating 1/10th of her body weight per day, that's a pretty good guideline to go by on the low side.  A little more is normal/better for a growing kitten.
(2lb cat = 32oz cat = 3.2oz of food).  5 or 6oz is better I think for a little one.
85 grams is about 3oz.  And if she nibbles around on dry food also, that's a little more.
What's she weigh?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

punkypaws

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi and thanks for your reply. I called my fiancee to ask him how much she weighed when he got her. He says he thinks she weighs a few pounds. I'm not sure if that's right or not since he's used to thinking in metric and he doesn't remember the precise number. She's gained a bit since we've had her and I'm bad at determining weight by holding things. If she is a few pounds and eating that amount, is it normal that she is being a pee and poop machine? I've had two other cats, both generous eaters and drinkers on a similar diet, but I've never been faced with such a mine field in the litter box before. I know all kitties are different, but it's amazing how such a little thing can leave such a large volume of scoopables. If it's normal, I'll be so happy. I'm the worrying kind, especially about my loved ones and furry ones. If she's just a big and poop and pee producer but healthy, I'll be happily scooping after her. :heart:

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You want things to be normal but sometimes normal is not easy to judge.

So, start with what you can judge. (weight of kitten and the amount of food she's eating).  Trip to the vet to be checked out is always a good idea also.  The sooner the better because with many things how soon you catch it means everything.

BUT, if that's not possible?
I've always been of the impression that:  If a cat is ACTIVE, EATING, PEEING, and POOPING...that's a GOOD thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

punkypaws

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and thank you. She definitely does all of those things. Now she's playing fetch and smacking my eyes with her tail when she runs over my hands if I happen to not throw her toy right away. :lol3: But I will take her to a vet just to be really sure. The size and amount of pees especially seem off to me, but if it's normal then maybe I should get her a bigger box or a second one. It's okay when I'm here all day to clean it, but if I'm at work or elsewhere then by the time I'm back the box is pretty full and she's pooped next to it.