Nikita And The Balcony

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, as you all know, I only let my cats out to explore the balcony and I've taken to letting them enjoy it with the harness, though I've spoiled Nikita. I notice, like I've said how she seems truly happy at my Grandparents or in areas that Prince doesn't seem to kind of take over everything, she loves the balcony. She will roll around and explore the area, but can't jump up to the top of the wooden border. And Prince will not leave my lap, he seems not to enjoy it so much

Well, despite my picking her up to carry her out there rather than letting her walk through the door (Someone told me that was best), she can still see the balcony since it's a sliding glass door and now she's obsessed with it. She's taken to standing at the door and meowing because she wants to go out there. It's a small little area, but she enjoys it. (I had it cracked because I was cooking and needed to let smoke out, and she was full on trying to pull it open with both paws, but couldn't)

On one hand, better that than the front door, since she won't fall off the balcony and it's such a small area that I can supervise (I only take her out there so she's only there when I'm out there. I'd never ever allow either cat to be out there by themselves)...but I've definitely spoiled her a bit much, I think...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And because I open the door and took pictures of the balcony that is Nikita meowing because she wants to go out there. Apparently she only does this when I go out onto the balcony open the door or have taken her onto the balcony and then brought her back inside
15476226185212695816332303964666.jpg
15476228564402491175685448428609.jpg

15476229185774233310799794772028.jpg

Those last two are meant to show you where she has unsuccessfully tried to open the balcony door

Last edited by a moderator:

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay, maybe the question got list in translation or wait, I didnt ask it, but definitely was a behavior thing...wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on perhaps making her less obsessed with the door now that she seems to be tearing at the carpet there...

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
She seems to be beyond happy, it’s so cute to see!

What are you trying to ultimately achieve... stop her from ruining the carpet, yes? Is there no middle ground? Can you modify the balcony (even if you don’t own it) with some netting so all of your kitties who want to enjoy it, do (without supervision)? If not you could put double sided tape temporarily on the carpet.

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Definitely need to keep her from tearing up the carpet since I'm in an apartment. I thought about putting some kind of netting on the balcony, but my complex has regulations and so on, so I don't believe they'd allow for it.

Nikita is definitely happy with the balcony, I'm kind of surprised but not really surprised she's associated that door with it-not surprised as much because the balcony is in plain view. Someone once told me to carry cats through a door so they don't associate that door with going outside; but she clearly associates it-but of course they've seen me through the glass whenever I've gone out there on my own, so it's not so hard to see why the association is there.

For the carpet, she's already pulled that corner off the nails underneath, so I need to figure out how to fix that if I can...

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Put a carpet mat in front of the balcony door, so the damage won't get worse.

Can she jump up on the balcony railing?

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It appears she cannot jump up there, she's much too small. She hasn't ever made any attempts to jump up there either, but the balcony is also so small that no matter where she is on the balcony, I can grab her before she would even attempt to; and never, ever do I allow her on that balcony when I'm not out there.

I've had Prince out there, but again, he absolutely will not leave my lap. I don't know what it is that makes Nikita enjoy the balcony while Prince seems more nervous about it. I don't want to say he doesn't like it, because he seems at least to want to be out there too (though only when Nikita and I am out there, he doesn't go to the door and act as Nikita does when I'm inside), but he certainly isn't as comfortable out there as she is.

Kissamew

My attitude is inspired by cats....
Young Cat
Purraise
It looks like your balcony is wood. If it is maybe you could get some chicken wire and small nails and neatly put it up to enclose the area. I say chicken wire because the netting/mesh most people put up does not look strong enough to me. Chicken wire is pretty durable. And you can cut it with wire cutters, trimming to fit just how you like it. Your kitty may be small, but cats can leap pretty high. My apartment has stucco, any nails or staples damage it and makes it ugly. I have been trying to think of something that would allow the view without being tacky or super expensive. My older kitties wouldn't jump the walls but Kikii would. She is part spider monkey I think.

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have thought of the chicken wire thing but I'm cautious because I once asked my complex about putting something like that up and they said I could not; but any time I've had either Nikita or Prince out I've got them under strict supervision. Literally even if they get close to that small space between the ground and barrier I'm already on top of them. The balcony is so incredibly small that they can't do anything fast enough-nor have they ever tried (Nikita's still far more comfortable rolling around on the balcony than Prince, who basically hugs that sliding glass door and would rather be inside if I dare close it). Neither have even attempted to jump to the ledge, and I'm still not sure they know how to do so or if they want to. I've held them in my arms at the ledge and that's as far as they've ever been, in my arms....

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have thought of the chicken wire thing but I'm cautious because I once asked my complex about putting something like that up and they said I could not; but any time I've had either Nikita or Prince out I've got them under strict supervision. Literally even if they get close to that small space between the ground and barrier I'm already on top of them. The balcony is so incredibly small that they can't do anything fast enough-nor have they ever tried (Nikita's still far more comfortable rolling around on the balcony than Prince, who basically hugs that sliding glass door and would rather be inside if I dare close it). Neither have even attempted to jump to the ledge, and I'm still not sure they know how to do so or if they want to. I've held them in my arms at the ledge and that's as far as they've ever been, in my arms....

Kissamew

My attitude is inspired by cats....
Young Cat
Purraise
My apartment has restrictions as well, so I understand! It seems like your kitties don't have an issue. Mine don't try to jump the wall either, too many plants in the way. I let Kikii out on the patio for the first time this past weekend, prepared to scramble to catch her because I think she is part spider monkey (BasePaws should have more on that when they send my report...), but she stayed by the sliding door and went right back in when Nola did. She did get a little worried about me being out there by myself before that and tried to climb the screen until she could see me. Once she was allowed out for the few moments she didn't want to do that again. She's pretty content just looking out of the screen or glass, like the other girls. I do have hummingbirds and chubby lizards that go on the patio, so I try to look before going out with kitties. Nola made friends with one lizard. They lay on each side of the glass and stare at each other. She caught it once and took it to her food dish and set it on there, like she wanted to share. I just put it back outside. She didn't harm it in anyway, so we are good!