Nighttime Meowing

fyreflair

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My male cat has a tendency to begin to loudly meow as soon as I lay down for bed. He's an inside cat due to the amount of fleas that he'll bring in if we were to let him out. There's nothing wrong with him health wise the problem is he wants outside and we're not letting him out. He mostly tends to do it at night which cuts into attempting to sleep. It's very hard to ignore him because he tends to keep getting louder until he can't get any louder. At that point he starts all over again and this continues until morning then he curls up and goes to sleep. 

I've tried EVERYTHING I can think of to keep him quiet, give him attention (which he gets plenty of during the day) squirt him with water, lock him out of the room, ignore him, nothing has worked. If anyone please can give me any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it. I wouldn't mind if he'd do it during the day but at night it keeps me and my boyfriend from going to sleep. I love my cat dearly but this meowing has got to end before I become an insomniac lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fyreflair

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sadly not yet, but I wasn't entirely sure if that would quiet him down or not. We plan on neutering him ASAP, we don't want another litter of kittens lol, but we've yet to manage to save up the money.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neutering will solve the problem. It will take a couple of months after the neuter for all the hormones to be gone. Definitely, get it done soon. Call your local shelter and ask about low cost options. :)

Welcome to TCS!

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thunder has the same problem and is fixed now. She just wanted attention and she quite down for us.