Nightmare after coming home from vet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It seems that things have gotten even better today. The kitten only got hissed at once, and that was when he wouldn't stop playing with the cat's tail (like an annoying little brother). There were a couple of times today when the cat got mad and nipped the kitten's ear, but then she would start licking him as if to say "Oh i'ts you!" There were a couple of times today when I picked the kitten up and his fur was soaked like he got caught in a slobber storm. I am relieved that things are better, but I would like to have the kitten microchipped, since it was not done by the Humane Society. I might have to do this all over again.

chloeg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi.Iv had the very same problem you did.I posted my worries and got the same advice. I have to say the vanilla extract worked beautifully.

lets hope it works just as well when I take them to the vet again.My two are back to grooming and sharing everything.Good luck and enjoy.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems that things have gotten even better today. The kitten only got hissed at once, and that was when he wouldn't stop playing with the cat's tail (like an annoying little brother). There were a couple of times today when the cat got mad and nipped the kitten's ear, but then she would start licking him as if to say "Oh i'ts you!" There were a couple of times today when I picked the kitten up and his fur was soaked like he got caught in a slobber storm. I am relieved that things are better, but I would like to have the kitten microchipped, since it was not done by the Humane Society. I might have to do this all over again.
ask your vet if he/she can come to your house to microshipp him tell them the reason why everytime the kitten leaves the house your cat dont recognize him and wants to attack him etc

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vet home calls are usually twice the cost of an office visit. Just remember the things you did to get them back together and use them right away when you get back from the vet.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad all is returning to normal.

Yes you may have to relive this again and perhaps even again. Vet visits are one of those necessary things. But now you know that they do get over it and have learned some tricks to help the situations.

chloeg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi glad things are a bit better.Since I had the same problem you did and didnt want to go through the same problem again(it was really stressful).

I had to take Cole for his 2nd innoculation and both needed to be micro-chipped.

My great idea was to take both to the vet at the same time.It sorted out the hissing and growling.When I got home I let them both out of the carrier

at the same time and gave them their favorite treats.They werent too happy with me initially but

sniffed each other ,gobbled up their treats and 10 minutes later were back to their rambunctious selves.This might not work for everybody but its worth a try for next visit to vet.

It definately worked for me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had to take my kitten back to the vet for a recheck yesterday. This time when I brought him home, my adult cat followed him around, sniffing him, hissing and swatting for a few minutes. She then kept her distance for a couple of hours. But after she napped for a couple of hours and woke up, she seemed to be totally over it! The kitten cuddled up next to her, and she gave him about a 10 minute bath. So, I guess things went a lot better than last time. Of course, this was only a short vet visit, unlike the overnight stay when the kitten got neutered. I guess there was either less time for the vet smell to cover the kitten, or the cat is familiar with the smell of the vet's office now. Hopefully, future visits will turn out like this. Fingers crossed!

paws4life

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow! I didn't know cats did that to each other. We had been taking our one guy in biweekly and never had a problem after!

hebi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Definitely try the "taking them at the same time" thing when you can, but be aware that if your older can has to have something done, the discomfort might make her aggressive anyway.
Regarding the Mexican Vanilla, the confusion is that tonka beans, which are also sold under the name vanillin, smell like vanilla but are actually poisonous. Humans can use them for fragrance purposes, but not on a cat that might lick it. It is not uncommon for Americans shopping in Mexico to see "vanillin" and think they are getting "vanilla," but yours seems properly labeled.