Nightime Biting, Rough Play, Daytime Hiding

wrath_of_con_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!

So I'm having some issues with my cat (<1 year old, female) and I'm not super worried but I wanted to see if there was anyone out there who might be able to help.

So ever since we've gotten her, she's been really into biting our feet at night while we sleep. If there is as much as a toe exposed, she goes in. She is a big nibbler when we play with her, and often the bites are just soft things but inevitably they get harder and when we're asleep it goes from innocent to painful rather quickly! Does anyone else have this issue with their cat? Any ideas on how to get her to let us sleep?

She's been doing the normal daytime cat stuff (sleeping, playing, stalking the house) but she has also been having bouts where she will just meow at nothing for like ten minutes, and other times she's been hiding in the back of our closet where her litter box is. I'm kind of worried about the hiding, as I know they do that sometimes when they're sick. She doesn't seem sick (no coughing or sneezing or apparent sites of pain) but I'm worried that she's hiding because she's unhappy. We play with her at least twice a day and the house is littered with toys, so I hope it isn't that!

Any suggestions/comments are appreciated, thanks everyone!

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she really hiding in the closet, or is she trying to use the litter box & having some trouble urinating or defecating? That is one advantage to having the litter box. where your cat's activity is observable.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Cats waking their people up at night is something we see quite frequently, so don’t worry, you’re not alone! Here’s a helpful article: How To Stop My Cat From Waking Me Up At Night?

Regarding the meowing and hiding, how long has she been doing this? You’re right that both of these can be a sign of health issues. Especially since she’s doing this by the litterbox makes me wonder if that’s related. Is she peeing and pooping every day?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wrath_of_con_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both!

She's been doing it for the past day or so. I'm pretty sure she is not in the litter box trying to use it, because I'm in the adjacent room all day and normally I'd hear her use it. Also the few times I've gone looking for her she's been sleeping on top of a suitcase stashed in the way back of the closet.

Should I take her to the vet, just in case?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Cats are very good at hiding pain, so that’s why we look for sudden behavioral changes to indicate health issues.

Has she used the box in the last day?