Night Playing

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My two cats recently met about 2 months ago, and they have quickly become great friends. The only problem is, they are playing at night. Constantly. They are both rather vocal cats, and them bouncing down the hallway gets old fast. Sleeping is just not possible. When I try to hold one of them, Gizmo, he gets very upset and tries to get back to Cookie (the other cat). He never bites or scratches, but it is annoying with him constantly trying to wiggle out while I try to calm him. How would I stop their nighttime routine? I understand they are nocturnal animals, but Gizmo used to match my sleep schedule before he met Cookie.

Additional information that might help:
Both cats are neutered males
They are definitely not fighting. They are chasing each other, and flopping around the floor. No snarling, biting, hissing, or anything like that. They only use claws when they are overstimulated, or are done playing.

catsins

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted two male cats four months ago and they spent the first 4-6 weeks going nuts during the night, I had little to none sleep due to all the noise they made while playing and chasing each other. And then they slept through the day while I was trying to work and not fall asleep. 

What helped for me - playing with them before I go to bed, for at least 30 minutes or more, until they were out of breath (and so was I), then giving them their last meal (and it's the biggest of the day). I don't free feed them so there is no food out at night either. Also, I have a schedule, I try to go to bed at the same time and wake up at the same time (even on weekends) and they know there will be no cuddles or food when I am asleep (I ignored their attempts to wake me up) and somehow over time they changed their schedule and now we all sleep during the night and they wake up with me, when my alarm goes off. The little one sometimes wakes up a bit earlier to play but overall it's very peaceful.

I do work from home so it's a bit easier to make sure they don't sleep all day which might not be possible for you, but whenever you are home, try to engage with them, play, cuddle, groom, give them something interesting (it doesn't have to be a new toy every day, mine love any kind of a box and anything that has a scent/smell) that keeps them awake more often during the day. I don't wake them up on purpose and let them nap if they want but I give them options: if they want they can come and investigate the new shoe box or figure out why one of their toys is dangling from a shelf suddenly or what is that new thing that smells like cinnamon. And since they are more active during the day, they sleep more at night.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gizmo is awake all day, ao that wouldnt help. :( I actually have no idea when he sleeps. XD