Night crying with toy mouse

ledbar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Chessie is a spayed ten year old indoor calico. Sometimes she will wake us in the middle of the night, outside our bedroom door or in another room, with a series of loud meow cries. the next morning we find one of her ratty toy mice beside her while she sleeps or where the sound came from (like outside the bedroom door). Is this a maternal thing, maybe finding taking care of a kitten she never had? What would be other reasons for her doing this?

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Jack's done this from being a kitten. He cries and carries his toys up and downstairs several times on a daily basis.. He brings them to me and drops them either at my feet or on my lap, so it's usually classed as a gift that he's bringing to me like a mouse or a bird, so l always tell him he's a good boy 

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had cats do this, I always thought it was hunting! I presumed they were "hunting" their toys and meowing to let their humans know, or just to shout about their success!

blackcat416

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 8 cats, at least half of them do this nightly. They will bring a mouse toy of theirs and leave it right outside my bedroom door. I am always gathering up the toys and bring them back down to their toy box. My Matthew and Sally are the screamers they make this very strange sound when walking with the mouse or bird in their mouth. I think that they are just bring food back to the nest or to me their momma cat.

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kitties patrol their house, several times a day, to make sure everything is OK, and in its place, thats why moving furniture around, or when you bring in something new, upsets some kitties, and/or they have to check it out. They do the same thing at night. They are nocturnal, we humans, teach them to go beddy bye at night.

When we shut off the TV and lights, and go to bed, the other kittens come right to bed. I have one, that as soon as the lights go out, roams thru the house, and meows loudly, then comes to bed, he does this every night. He is patroling the house, to make sure everything is OK, before he comes to bed.