Nibbles turning into bites?

keya smith

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently adopted a kitten from our local animal shelter. She's been with us for about 3 weeks and is around 7 months old. She's a very vocal girl but also likes to lick on you. She used to just lick and lightly nibble on my hand when I would pet her.
One morning she came and laid down with me. She started to bite on the covers that were on my arm. I thought she just wanted to play or get some love, but thought differently of it when I got up and they were running low on dry food.
Just a few days ago she started doing this in the morning when I got up. Again, I thought she might be wanting some food (they get wet food once a day when I come home from work). She did this in the morning today even while I was loving on her. She did it again this evening before I fed them wet food then she did it after when I was loving on her and she was purring up a storm. :confused:I have had cats that love nibble before but this is becoming much harder than that and she is slightly digging her claws in. Not enough to draw blood, but hard enough for me to yelp.
I should also mention that I had a very long playing session this evening with her to rule out this possibility as well. She is not lacking for attention, that's for sure.
I have no idea what's going on because I've never really experienced this sort of behavior before. Ruled out what I could, any suggestions or insight anyone?

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If she were a male I'd wonder if she was humping you.... I had a male cat that would try and do this on my arm every once in a while (even though fixed) but I don't know if a female cat would do this (I'm more familiar with having male cats). Hopefully another member will come along with more experience that can answer your questions, but I wonder if she is trying to display dominance?

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
From your description it sounds to me like it could be two things:

1. Playtime aggression. I know you mentioned having a long play session with her, which is wonderful, but at her age, it likely she till views all the time as playtime and is using the biting as a way to get your attention and re-start the play. There's a good article on curbing this type of aggression here: http://www.thecatsite.com/a/playtime-aggression

2. Overstimulation. Some cats have a limit to how much they can be touched before they need a break and an overstimulated cat will often try to grab and/or bite you. From your second description, it sounds like she might be getting overstimulated sometimes. They usually give signs, many of which are listed in the beginning of this article: http://www.thecatsite.com/a/cat-aggression-toward-people (It doesn't sound like the rest of this one applies to you, but it's good reading if you're interested.
)

I'm sure some of our other members will be along soon to offer more advice or suggestions. Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

keya smith

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's possible that she's getting overstimulated but she usually jumps in my lap or approaches me for contact. She's very vocal to me and will follow me around and when I stop roll around on the floor and show me her belly.
I thought about dominance as well but she's a bit skittish (sp?) And very sweet most of the time...
She doesn't really behave this way to my boyfriend, she seems to prefer me. I do have another female cat around 11 months old in the household. They are at the point where they are acclamating to each other and playing occasionally. She's not really a hand player either, she likes a wand toy and looks confused if you try to play with your hand.Thanks for all the help! I'll continue to watch her :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keya smith

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well I do believe I have found out the reason. Our new little girl, who I thought was only around 6 month, is apparently a bit older and is now in heat. Yay for the sleepless nights, lol.
She did the biting thing for a couple of days which then turned into lots of meows which turned into full estrus. I've got an appointment for her to be spayed next week, hopefully she'll be out of it by then.