Newly spayed kitten

djduval92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all, sorry if this has been posted before.
We had our almost 4 month old kitten spayed today. All the vet gave us as far as instruction goes is the typical, dont let her jump or play, etc. However, we don't have a big enough house to keep her in a small room, we also have her little brother, a 3 month old who still wants to play. Literally the moment she got home she wanted to run around and play, we are doing what we can to stop her but does anyone have advice on helping keep a kitten calm enough without the space to lock them up safely?
Also any advice on healing time? I read different stories on it

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello. It’s good that she’s still active and wants to play even after a major surgery.

I didn’t have a special room either so I just watched my cat to make sure she didn’t jump up the high places. My cat also ran around then moment she reached home but since she was wearing a cone, it restricted some movement.

Healing takes about 7 days for the wound to dry and 10-14 for a completely healed incision. If you use a cone, it may restrict her movement but be ready to get dramatic sad eyes from her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

djduval92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have had the cone on her cause she kept licking the wound, its a sad but funny sight to watch her in it cause she's still small lol
Thank you, atleast my husband works from home so he can watch when I'm not there and will just go day by day

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's my concern too once we get our young kitten spayed? However, one thing I did for our older cat, is we got her a "spay suit" - it's like a cat onesie to stop them from getting at their stitches. (She was not having the cone).

The onesie was effective in keeping the stitches safe, and it also had an unintended calming effect -- our cat was and is so much snugglier and calmer in the onesie. She would not do a lot of climbing or jumping while wearing it either. (They do make "thunder shirts" for cats that wrap them and are meant to have a calming effect - my guess is the post-spay surgery suit did that too?) -- so that's an option?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

djduval92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How ironic!! I literally just ordered one of these suits now because I don't want her stuck in a cone for almost 2 weeks, ill have it tomorrow so hopefully it helps.