Newly Spayed. How Often Should She Be Relieving Herself?

kittyemojis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
its been a day since my kitty has been spayed and I’ve only seen her urinate once (on the carpet - the same day she got fixed, and it was only a little). She hasn’t gone again since and day 2 is ending. Should I worry?

Beaglelover1980

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has she been drinking alot? When kitty cats get spayed/neutered the whole process is very hard on them especially females because they have to opened up completely versus a male only has to have a small incision. She may be in quite alot of pain and maybe it hurts for her to urinate. Did the vet prescribe any pain meds for her? I would check around her incision area and make sure its not all red and swollen which could mean she has an infection. I would just keep giving her water for the night and call the vet first thing in the morning and let them know what your baby is going through and see what they say but i would definately check to see if the incision is ok keep us posted on your bundle of fur please and let me know if it looks infected or not

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she eating and drinking like normal? Acting normal otherwise? Its been a while since mine got spayed, but i don't remember them having a problem urinating. Has she got a box near by. she may not want to walk far? she may be hurting and not wanting to jump in a high sided box, maybe a smaller lower box? If she isnt feeling well, maybe a short sided box, easy to get in and out of, and only an inch or so of litter so she is more stable footed? Just some of my thoughts :)

I would be starting to worry if she has not went yet, i think i would call the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyemojis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has she been drinking alot? When kitty cats get spayed/neutered the whole process is very hard on them especially females because they have to opened up completely versus a male only has to have a small incision. She may be in quite alot of pain and maybe it hurts for her to urinate. Did the vet prescribe any pain meds for her? I would check around her incision area and make sure its not all red and swollen which could mean she has an infection. I would just keep giving her water for the night and call the vet first thing in the morning and let them know what your baby is going through and see what they say but i would definately check to see if the incision is ok keep us posted on your bundle of fur please and let me know if it looks infected or not
02AC0733-AE9C-4642-8BC6-5A2ABB39A0D5.jpeg

She hates me getting anywhere near it, so I had to sneak an I undershot while I fed her a bit of wet food.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks good!

If she's eating and drinking normally it has to come out sometime. Are you sure she didn't use the carpet again anywhere?

kittyemojis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is she eating and drinking like normal? Acting normal otherwise? Its been a while since mine got spayed, but i don't remember them having a problem urinating. Has she got a box near by. she may not want to walk far? she may be hurting and not wanting to jump in a high sided box, maybe a smaller lower box? If she isnt feeling well, maybe a short sided box, easy to get in and out of, and only an inch or so of litter so she is more stable footed? Just some of my thoughts :)

I would be starting to worry if she has not went yet, i think i would call the vet.
She’s walking around pretty okay now, albeit a little slow, but she has jumped onto the couch once (I put her back down because I was told not to let her on beds or the couch at the time of her returning home), so I dunno :( I have work training tomorrow morning until 1pm, but I’ll make a call as soon as I can, maybe I can manage during my break to see if I can schedule a visit soon.

She is her usual self for the most part aside from her laying down a lot, mostly irritable about her e collar. She bats around her mini Pom Pom a little, while still laying down. I’ve taken her cone off for a bit to see if she’d use her litter once I helped her in, but she just sat and laid in it.

kittyemojis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looks good!

If she's eating and drinking normally it has to come out sometime. Are you sure she didn't use the carpet again anywhere?
Yeah, we’ve been in the living room all day and she’s been in eye view of me, laying in different spots/ positions every now and then but in the same vicinity. Her water, food, and litter have all been no more than about a foot away from her no matter where she’s moved to.

Glad the incision looks good, thanks for letting me know!

kittyemojis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She finally urinated in the box! It took a bit of struggle with her e collar, but she did it! She didnt go as much as I’d expect, but she went!

Beaglelover1980

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah the incision definately looks really good she will be a little down for a few days but if she is attempting to play and doing normal cat things thats wonderful she can have a little activity just nothing that will pull her stitches out she has inside stitches and outside stitches and they will dissolve over time as far as the jumping thing you cant fully stop her from doing it if tou notice that she wants in certain areas that you are just simply help her up and down. Yay glad she went in the box if you have to be away and if nobody else is gonna be around just make sure you keep her cone on her so she doesnt try to lick her boo boo but she seems to be on the right path to a good and hopefully speedy recovery keep us updated on how she is doing. I am taking my male rescue cat in this coming tuesday to be neutered so i am sure he is gonna be mad at me for a little while lol. I rescued him from outside he was really thin and beat up when i found him but i rehabilitated him and brought him into my home just before winter started so i have to get him neutered before he decides to spray my house i am not sure how old he is with being a rescue i am hoping the vet might be able to tell me an approx age when i take him in.

Last edited: