Newly Diagnosed Lymphoma With Breathing Issues

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fur Baby Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just did a quick read through Meow Mix reviews on Consumeraffairs.com and its full of complaints about cats dying of cancer or getting sick from their food. Think I really might have to look into this further.
I will take a look myself as well. Food is supposed to nourish and help our babies thrive, not kill them.

Plumeria

Leroy's Mommy
Adult Cat
Purraise
I emailed Meow Mix inquiring about the specific “colour” additives they use for their kibble and their response is sending chills down my spine.

Response:

Thank you for contacting The J.M. Smucker Company regarding Meow Mix® products. We always enjoy hearing from pet parents like you and are pleased to know your pet enjoys our products.

In response to your inquiry, Meow Mix® Cat Food Original Choice contains Yellow 6, Yellow 5 and Red 40. These ingredients were added to help the product have a color pet parents responded well to during product and packaging testing. Any ingredient we use, including Yellow 6, Yellow 5 and Red 40, complies with FDA requirements and is safe for pets to consume. We care about the wellness and safety of all pets, including our own, and would never offer a product that wasn’t deemed safe by the FDA for them to consume.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requires that all animal foods, like human foods, be safe to eat, produced under sanitary conditions, and contain no harmful substances.

We recognize and respect that consumers appreciate a variety of product options, so we continue to focus on providing consumers with a variety of choices.

Thank you again for contacting us. Our goal is to bring you products that help make every day special with your pet. If you have any additional questions, feel free to visit us at meowmix.com or give us a call at 1-877-636-9649.

Sincerely,

Marsha
Consumer Relations Representative

Ref # 12863648

Yellow 6, yellow 5, and Red 40 are all linked with cancer. But if you look at the ingredients list on their packaging, it only says “Colour” and doesn’t mention these harmful compounds by name. I found an article that claims the FDA mandates Red 40 to be listed by name on all food labels. Meow Mix might have really killed our cats! We should do more research on these compounds, FDA regulations, etc. Maybe we need to create a thread in the Nutrition forum to find others whose cats developed cancer after eating Meow Mix kibble.

Plumeria

Leroy's Mommy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Salem is the black one. Pumpkin is the orange/buff tabby, and Piper is the calico.

Pumpkin is no longer hiding exactly, but he’s staying in the bedroom. He’s very sensitive to changes and this is a big change. All 3 of the cats used to cuddle while sleeping (similar to a kitten pile, but full grown cats).

Piper has become more skittish around people and has not been wanting affection. She will follow me from room to room. Today she started hiding, but we did flea treatment yesterday.

I agree on the class action lawsuit. I hate that this happened, makes me really sad. My fiancé still cries about him every day. Salem was her special cat, he would cuddle and console her. They used to play fetch.
Your kitty kids are adorable. I’m so sad beautiful Salem was called to the bridge. I’m sure Pumpkin and Piper are missing their brother and confused about his absence. I wonder if showing your kitties videos of Salem would help them with their grief. It’s been a month since I lost Leroy and I still cry multiple times a day. So I understand you and your fiance’s pain. Time does dull the pain somewhat but you’ll always grieve the baby you lost. :(