Newly adopted kitten won't stop yowling

franniejo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!
So here's the story. I've been wanting to get a cat for years because I work from home and wanted someone around during the day. I have anxiety and depression and heard good things about getting a pet to help with that. I've talked to friends, family, and watched SO many videos about adopting and bringing a new cat into the home. I had a lot of friends recommend adopting two at the same time so they have someone to play with. We adopted Frodo and Sam (9-week old brothers) last Saturday and I'm struggling.
Sam immediately pooped in the carrier on the way home and they both yowled/cried the whole way. I thought that was fine because being in a carrier is scary and probably not fun, so we cleaned them up when we got home and didn't think twice about it. Frodo is very chill and curious - he loves to play, nap, eat like a normal kitten. Sam is like no cat I've ever met before. He yowls a large portion of the day. My husband and I both play with them (wand toys, tunnel) for at least an hour throughout the day (in the morning, afternoon, and nighttime). Sam is ALWAYS dissatisfied though. He'll play and seems to have a good time, but if you're not actively giving him attention (when eating, doing dishes, working, etc), he'll just yell and yell. If I'm on a different floor, Frodo will come find me and sit by me, but Sam will stay on whichever floor he was on and yowl for attention. We know he is VERY capable of going up and down the stairs so that doesn't seem to be the problem.
This morning I woke up early, played with them, worked out, and then sat down for breakfast and Sam just yelled the whole time. Frodo just sat and cleaned himself but Sam needed SOMETHING. Since they're so little, we have open feeding for the time being and they always have food and water. I scoop their litter 3 times a day and they have toys, a cat tower, scratchers, and soft places to rest strewn throughout the house. We shut the door to our bedroom when sleeping because the first night, Sam yelled at us and then stepped on my husband's head, but they seem to do really well by themselves at night and we just find them sleeping together in the morning. My husband and I are trying to completely ignore him when he yowls and then really validate when he is being quiet, but every time we go to pet him, he does like an "about time" yowl so it kind of defeats the purpose. I'm just confused because I've never been around such a vocal kitten and I think he's starting to rub off on Frodo because he has started yowling a bit too. I almost feel like we should have adopted just one kitten because the difference between these two is alarming - they do play together but Sam will dominate and bite Frodo's neck, which is concerning. I'm just worried there's not enough stimulation/excitement going on for Sam. He's honestly been adding more to my anxiety rather than helping it. :'(
Any tips/advice? Thanks for your time!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you brought them to see a vet yet? If not, start there to rule out any kind of underlying health issues which may be making him more needy.

Cats all have different personalities, like we do. Some are chill, some high intensity. Add in being a kitten! If he's healthy more likely he just hasn't adjusted as fast as his sibling to their new home. And he also just may be a very chatty cat. Kittens do tend to make plenty of noise and are very active, if you have not had kittens before it can be rather overwhelming at times.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Some young kittens just need more attention that others And ignoring rarely works with an unhappy baby. Instead try picking him up, stroking him and taking him for a short walk. Sometimes that little bit is all they need to settle down. If you stroke their forehead the kitten may fall asleep and then can be set down.

I would never worry about play between two kittens. While it may look rough, and there may be squealing , they are just having fun.

Last edited:

banana queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is a baby, and all babies are different. Just like some human babies cry more than others, kittens can be the same. He will settle eventually.
One of my cats was very needy as a kitten. I used to wear my hoodies backwards and put him in the hood, so I could carry him around, like a little kitten sized baby carrier. Works for human babies.

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Being brothers they be play fighting which is also good as then they will know that biting and scratching limits.
Mine also siblings and each is different.
Maybe you can try to put one to sleep by placing in your arms and stroking the head and chin. Coz mine only sleeps like that if we want to force him to sleep at same time.the one who make noise will settle down eventually but he needs to know u won't be entertaining his cries.