Newly adopted kitten not eating, please help

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Watering down wet food will give him most of the water he needs. Cats get a TON of their water form what they eat, which is why full dry diets aren't great for them :)

Between the fluids from the vet and what you've given him, he won't drink much right now. That's okay.

One weird trick for you: a human cup on the floor. I can't count the amount of cats I've heard this work for. 🤣 They are silly floofs for sure.

Another thing with some kittens is that they need something to not be "new" for them to use it. An instinct in most young animals is not to eat or drink from something new because it might be toxic or poisonous. Calcifer, for example, follows the rule of 3: he must witness another cat eat it 3 times or he won't touch it 🤣 Magnus just wants the item to 'be around' for awhile before he uses it.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
While you always want to have water available, if the cat is eating canned food, that should be just fine. They aren't like dogs. They get most of their fluids from their food. Unless of course they are eating dry food, then they will drink more, but it isn't as good for them to have dry food. Canned is much better.
So glad you took him in.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our two boys, Domino and Mr Poe, are now 11+ years old. I have never seen them drink water. Have given up on water bowls. They are fed only canned food, 1/2 of a 3-ounce can 4 times a day, with about 1 Tablespoon of water added per serving. They clean this up.

Every other cat we have ever had (8 in all) would drink from a water bowl. Go figure.

But you are absolutely to be commended, S ScaryGoblin for being so watchful and proactive with your new fur friend.

Now, when can we see pictures?