Newly adopted cat - super scared

MollyMittens**

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - a week and a half ago I adopted a cat that was at a rescue centre. Ever since she has been home she has been in hiding. She comes out at night, has a scratch, eats her food and uses the litter tray. We have given her treats and she sometimes lets us stroke her. She stays in hiding all day and doesn’t come out. She hisses sometimes and retreats back to under the sofa. When is she likely to make an appearance and start feeling comfortable around us ? I so desperately want her to feel safe and loved and not sure what else I

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is the cat and what is its background if known? A week and a half is a bit long for a kitten, but nothing for a feral adult. Either way, its good that the cat is allowing petting sometimes. Figure out when and where that is allowed and try and encourage that. You can use a call noise to show you are ready to pet in that spot.

In general, don't force anything. Let her come out at night. Just sit in that room quietly and interact how she'll allow. You can try and lure out with treats or toys, but patience is the key. And most especially, don't be grabby.

Where is this sofa that she hides under? Ideally she would be hiding in a quiet room like a bedroom. If she is under a sofa in the living room, you should make an extra effort to not be too loud or walk too fast, don't use the vaccum, that sort of thing.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Congrats on the new kitty adoption. Sorry, though, that so far she's being mostly elusive. That's not totally unusual, and depending on her history, could be totally expected.

Do let her go at her own pace, as you don't want to stress her out. Eating and using the litter box normally is good, and is the most important thing right now.

Here's some TCS articles on shy/timid cats that might have some tips for you.

How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding? – TheCatSite Articles
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat – TheCatSite Articles
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats – TheCatSite Articles

Bacon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Treats treats and more treats. Also get a laser pointer, catnip, and a ton of toys that allow you to interact with the little guy. It might take some time, but you will get there.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: Thank you for adopting. The above members have given you some great advice. However, I would not suggest using a laser pointer just yet since it might frighten her right now. Once you get a feel for her personality/temperament and she learns to trust you then you can introduce her to some more interactive toys.

A week and a half is a very short period of time especially since she may have been stressed out and/or overwhelmed at the rescue center then being moved to a new environment, i.e.your home. It's a good sign that she has taken some treats and will let you pet her sometimes. Baby steps are the key as well as time and patience. Sit on the floor in the room she is in and simply read or play soft music. Let her come to you or just be quiet and let her know you are not a threat. In time she will feel more comfortable and you will have a new best friend.:catlove: