Newly adopted cat shows love and anxiety / anger

Defender

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted about a 2 year old cat a couple days ago and put her in a safe room that I've been visiting, she has since indicated that she'd like to explore the house so I have opened it up and let her, safe room door is open and she can go in any time she likes. She is eating and all bm's are fine. When she sees me after I open safe room door she rubs up against my legs, however, not long after her pupils will be dilated, tail swishing side to side, and she will growl and attack my legs. She will let me pet her a little bit and she let me pick her up for the first time today, but nothing lasts long and she seems ok when left alone but when near me she seems more angry than anything else. Feliway diffuser has helped slightly, so I'm going to put them in a few different rooms. I'm thinking of just leaving her be and hoping she warms up, but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated in making friends with this new cat. Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Defender

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, she doesn't seem to care at all about treats. I've tried a few different kinds and has no interest. She does seem to like the feather teaser and laser pointer though.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It takes a good while for an adult cat to adjust to a new home and a new human so it is normal for her to feel all the emotions you mentioned. It is great if she accepts petting at all at this stage. Give her space, let her come to you for attention when she is ready and then keep an eye on her body language to see if she appears to be getting tense or over stimulated.

She probably isn’t interested in treats and play at this point because she is still too nervous. You can continue to offer those but it might be a few weeks before she is ready to respond.

Last edited:

Defender

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK, so new update. She is still showing some anxiety but has initiated being petted a few times and has jumped on my lap a couple times to be petted. One of those times she peed a little on the shorts I was wearing. I haven't noticed any other kind of urinary observations other than she's been urinating in her litter boxes. Any insights on her urinating on me while purring and being petted?

Thanks!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, that isn’t usual, so it is something to discuss with your vet. Did you see her pee or just discovered a wet spot? The reason I ask is that some cats can drool when they are happy and I did have one that left wet spots.

Defender

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, susanm9006 susanm9006 . It was definitely urine as it smelled. She jumped on my lap again today and did not do it, so maybe it was just a freak occurrence. At this rate, with the amount of times she jumps on my lap while I'm working remotely from home I will have more examples to look at and if she does it again, I will definitely bring it up with the Vet...and stop letting her jump on my lap. LOL

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
every animal in my house is of the " shy" and " anxious" sort and I have found that- the best thing you can do for a nervous animal is to ... ignore them unless they initiate contact ... I will say hi when I come home or into a room ... a short recognition but with my super fearful cases ... I am just passive, offering love and play when asked- otherwise paying attention more to the residents that want my attention. They all come around - even the " spent 10 years in a cage in a puppy mill" cases have eventually just decided it was safe and nice to get attention ... Aggression is extremely common in anxious animals ... and it lessens with time and confidence ...