Newly Adopted Cat - Hasn't Used Litter Box

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi All.

We brought home our newly adopted 3-5 year old tortoiseshell DLH yesterday.  We found her through PetFinder, and contacted one of the local organizations that foster out their kitties.  I became friendly with one of the women who run the place, and she felt Elmora (we plan to change the name) would be a good match for us, and our resident cat, Casper.  Mora, as she is currently called, has her claws and was recently spayed.  

She's a rather shy girl, and we knew she was going to need time to acclimate let alone, we also found out they didn't have her more than a month or so - she was found on the streets, friendly to most, but at the hands of some abusive children.  

All things considered she has been very trusting to us, when she comes out from under the furniture in the room we have her in for now.  She is a serious lap cat, loves belly rubs, and a purr machine.  Today, I managed to finally get her onto the bed with me for a long nap - where she also finally stopped her constant repositioning and nudging for affection long enough to take an honest, relaxed sleep without me having to pet her for reassurance all the time.  Small steps at progress! 

She has eaten a little bit since here.  I brought her up wet food for dinner last night, which she didn't really touch but this morning, we got her to eat about half of a portion of wet, and she has been nibbling on kibble also.  Looks like some of her water is gone too, so that's a good sign.  However, she still has not used the litter box.  We know the last time she went, was right before we took her home.  The liason brought her over to one of the local pet stores for us to get her (it was an "adoption day" so it made it easier for her to bring her there and us to come get her).  She mentioned to me that she recognized that Mora needed the box, so she brought her to one.  That, was approximately 11 am or so Saturday.  It's now 6:30 pm Sunday.

We showed her the box when we got her home yesterday afternoon.  Of course, it's a new box.  But, we got the same litter she's used to.  And put the box on the opposite side of the room from her food, a bit hidden from the sight line of the bedroom door, so when you walk in you don't see it, just in case she needed privacy.  We think she may have at least been inside it, the litter looks disturbed, but we surely do not see poop in it, and it does not look like any urine is inside it that we can tell either, unless it was so minute?  It's a kind of litter we aren't used to (I'm forgetting the name off hand, and the bag is in her room, don't want to go disturb her at the moment, trying not to overwhelm her with too many visits).

I keep hearing everyone say "oh she'll go when she's ready" and "oh, she does know where the box is, don't worry" but, well, I'm concerned.  She doesn't seem in any distress that I can tell - and she hasn't gone on the floor either, as far as I can tell lol.  There really has only been one place under the furniture she's been hiding (she's a creature of habit apparently) and I think we would have put our hand in the puddle if there was one by now lol.

So, is there a point where we should get really concerned?  When we got Casper, he came into our house like he owned it - and we had no problem with him at all using the box right away.  Christmas is nearly upon us, and I'd hate to have to be rushing her to an emergency vet on the holiday.  Should I call my vet tomorrow before it goes on too long, if she hasn't gone by the morning?  I need to bring her in anyway to get her set up with my practice - although I was going to wait a week or so until after she was more settled into a routine before dragging her to the vet - since the organization has recently vetted her.

Thanks in advance for your help. 

Last edited:

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just as with people, cats often take a while to settle in and be comfortable enough to relax and go to the bathroom. It sounds like you're making good progress with her, and I bet she will reward you with love in return.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just as with people, cats often take a while to settle in and be comfortable enough to relax and go to the bathroom. It sounds like you're making good progress with her, and I bet she will reward you with love in return.
And a nice big pee-pee! :clap:
:lol3:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And a nice big pee-pee!

LOL! Yes :p

I just gave her some dinner, which she was interested in eating - most of it in fact.  

She really is a sweet one.  She's funny that she'll hiss at you half heartedly when you go to touch her under the dresser but immediately then lifts her head so you can scratch under her chin.  She never uses her claws or teeth on you.  In fact, she's amazingly gentle with her paws - putting them on you to remind you to pet her more.  She was kneading on me earlier too - you'd never even know she had them.  Unlike Casper haha.  He doesn't use them but oh my you know they are there. 

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Update.

Yea! She peed! 

My resident cat alerted us by growling and hissing at her door for the first time since she arrived (he's done the same to us, for smelling her on us but hadn't discovered her behind the door yet).  So far, he seemed to have either not noticed she was here, or really wasn't too concerned.  I guess the scent of the box got him a bit riled up 

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update.

Yea! She peed! :woohoo:

My resident cat alerted us by growling and hissing at her door for the first time since she arrived (he's done the same to us, for smelling her on us but hadn't discovered her behind the door yet).  So far, he seemed to have either not noticed she was here, or really wasn't too concerned.  I guess the scent of the box got him a bit riled up :lol3:
You know you are a REAL cat person once you have gotten excited about cat pee! :lol3:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Right?

Here's a photo of her, hanging out in the arms of my BF.  She totally squished herself into him. She's a love bug!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a beauty!  No wonder you fell in love with her.  After she settles in, she may not be so "needy," so don't assume she'll always be quite so clingy.  But enjoy it while you can!

binky121912

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow when I found my Binky dodo cat, I call him that because he is like a little silly cat.

Well anyways he ate dry food, wet food , took over half my bed and finally after 6 days used the litter box.

But it was my fault , the first litter box was to small, so I went out and bought a really roomy big one and

thats did the trick.

catfella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear that the kitty finally used the litter box. I went through the same thing recently and was quite concerned. Apparently my kitty was "holding back" for lack of a better term...because...that was A LOT OF POOP! I'm sure he, as well as your kitty, is incredibly relieved. :p

One suggestion that I've read about and decided to implement is the use of two litter boxes. I think cats are just like people and most people prefer a two-bathroom house over a single-bathroom house. Plus (from what I've read) this will help to promote the cat feeling like they have proper ownership of the home and will be less tempted to use a wall or corner to prove their point.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yea, I think we were as relieved as she was lol.

We'll be hard pressed to figure out where to put 3 boxes in our house tho.  The one which is now in the room with her, will gradually be moved once she is acclimated to the house, since it's in the guest room.  Can't leave it there - yikes.

We have a very small house, configured in such a way as to make litter box placement not easy.  It was the one factor which was holding us up from adopting another cat in fact.  We just couldn't figure out where was going to be a good place for even one more box.

We have one in the main bathroom for our resident cat.  He's a pro user - never had any problems with him even when he had a UTI a couple of years back.  We probably will put her box (i.e.; the 2nd one) downstairs eventually, in what is sort of a pass through area/closet to our power room.  It's low traffic, and Casper, the resident, almost never walks in there for some reason - he's just not interested in what's being stored in the closet, or the powder room in general.  

Unfortunately, the power room is too small for the box, we'd trip on it no matter where it went.  The closet is pretty large, and if we use a covered box (the liason said she has used them, and will use either open or closed equally well), at least people on their way into the powder room won't have to be exposed to the view of the box lol.

Other than that, there really isn't any other place to put it except in my BF's "office", which is the 3rd bedroom - barely. VERY small room and pretty much no matter where it went in there, it's like he's on top of it pretty much.  Kind of unappealing.  We have no family room, and the basement is totally off limits to the cats; it's unfinished, dirty and I would consider it dangerous for them, particularly our new girl, who is so petite and shy - I could see her squeezing into some filthy corner and never being able to get her out :O

Last edited:

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since it sounds like you don't use the basement anyways, is there any way you could make a small cat room out of baby gates at the bottom of the stairs? Then you'd have a perfect place for the 3rd litter box *nods*
Btw, how many cats do you have?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We now have 2 cats :)

The basement is off limits regardless of any way of accommodating them.  We have problems with flooding now and then in my area, and the landing by the stairs and for several feet surrounding, is the low point of the room.  If we're going to get water down there, and have it pond, that is the one place where it seems to happen.  Thankfully, we have a French drain - so once the rain lets up it all disappears fast, but I wouldn't want to chance keeping a litter box there.  

Let alone, that basement is an "out of sight out of mind" kind of place.  It's unheated and uncooled, dusty and bad lighting. I know for sure that litter box would go uncleaned far longer than it should.  Unless one of us goes down there to do laundry once a week, or grab something out of the extra fridge (which is rare) - we avoid it like the plague 
  The house, built in 1915, has it's creep factor in places lol.  The basement being high on the list.

Last edited:

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you only have the two, you could probably make an exception to the rule and feel okay about only having two boxes. Especially if one is extra large size. I know a couple people on here that have more than 2 cats with only 2 litter boxes but they are extra large size boxes and cleaned religiously.