Newly adopted cat... changing behaviors?

1iora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!
I just adopted an 8 year old cat. In the shelter he purred and nuzzled in his cage, but was uncomfortable when he got out. But we took him in a private room and he explored the room then hopped up on our laps.
We got him home and he was like he was in the private room - we had him locked in the bedroom with us.
He explored, ate, came over for several minutes of pets with purrs and nuzzling, explored, ate, came over for more pets, explored, played, and fell asleep on my boyfriend's leg. In the morning he woke us up purring and nuzzling our faces for pets, then laid in our arms and slept until we 'really' woke up.

He still wakes us up this way, but he no longer wants to be pet/held except for first thing in the morning. He follows us around the house and lays down wherever we are, but just out of arm's reach. He tolerates being picked up and petted, but extricates himself as soon as he has the opportunity. Sometimes he sees us entering a room and bolts out.

We've had him since Tuesday (the 13th). The first night he was locked in our room, the second evening we let him explore the rest of the house for a few hours. We now let him out every day when we're home but lock him in the bedroom at night and when we're gone. He didn't start being distant until the third evening, so a day after he first got to explore a broader area.

The first 30 hours he was snuggly, but since then he isn't. He seems to be adjusting away from us rather than towards us, and I would have thought he'd only be more comfortable with us over time.

I was concerned we were overstimulating him, so we ignored him for a few hours and that seemed to help. Previously (yesterday before we ignored him) he was running away when we got anywhere near him, and once his tail got all bushy when I walked towards him and he ran and hid under the bed (which he'd never done before) Now if I sit on the floor he'll nuzzle me as he walks past. I also bribe him onto my lap with treats, but he leaves as soon as he's eaten it (less than a day after we brought him home he was jumping up on my lap and staying there for quite a while)

We haven't changed his food from what the shelter gave him and we haven't moved any of his stuff since we brought him home. He otherwise is very good. He was brought into the shelter as a stray. About the time he started acting weird he also threw up (looks like undigested food) after eating twice in a row. But he still plays and doesn't seem sick. He attacks toy mice and plays with us and even chases his tail.

Do you guys think he needs more time to adjust? Is he going to end up just being un-cuddly even though he was at first?

Thanks!

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he is just overwhelmed at his surroundings, which is why he was so near you for the first 30 hours. After that, he plucked up enough courage to go exploring his new surroundings. Cats are very territorial animals, and he was just put into a new house, an unfamiliar territory, that he needs to explore fully before feeling completely comfortable. Once he rubs himself over everything in your house and marks it as his, he will feel better and will most likely start being cuddly like he was at the shelter. It can take weeks for some cats to adjust to a new house. It sounds like your cat won't take nearly that long, as he isn't completely avoiding you or hiding under a bed all day.

I would suggest letting him out permanently, unless you are going to always put him in a room when you leave, so he can become acclimated to what his life is going to be like. Older cats aren't as rambunctious as kittens, so the likelihood of getting in trouble is much smaller. I know my cats hate closed doors and being cut off from parts of their territory even now. That may be another reason behind his behavior. He has to re-explore his territory and remark everything because he has been away from it all day, which means he has less time to be snuggly. My cats rub against everything they pass almost all the time to keep their markings fresh.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

1iora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's an interesting idea, thank you.  I think I'll try to convince my boyfriend of that.  I'm in law school, and tomorrow I'll only be away from home for about 5 hours - maybe we should let him out then (I could do that even without convincing the bf, since he won't be home!).  I want to keep locking him in with us at night because that's the only time he's snuggly, and I'm afraid he'll ignore us completely if not forced to be with us then!  But I guess we could try it and see what happens.

Last edited:

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't be too worried about that, he probably never liked being held in the first place.  A lot of cats don't.  They tolerate it but on their terms.  As long as he is happy to "love" you with purrs and nuzzles, he seems fine.  Over time, they can become more affectionate, too.  He probably just needs time to settle in.  This is still new to him.  Just see how it goes is my advice.

As for the throwing up.... Most of the time, cats just do this.  Either a hairball or something.  So it isn't a big deal.  Plus, most shelters and rescues do not have them on a steady diet of something so their systems can react and become upset.  Most of the time, they rely on donations of food to feed the animals.  So it's not by choice it's just what they get, they feed.  He should be throwing up a lot less in a week or so whenever he gets used to the food.  Try to keep him on a steady diet of something.  But, cats do get bored so you can change it up once in awhile, too.  As far as kibble goes, a lot of people swear by the high grade/expensive stuff.  I use Wellness Core Grain Free as their breakfast, mixed with some canned chicken (no salt added) human grade food.  (My Phoebe has a sensitive system and though she loves wet cat food, a lot she can't handle because the gravies upset her tummy.) 

The truth is, though the expensive stuff may have better ingredients, for years, decades we didn't have as much information as we have now days and most pets got fed the purina cat chow or tender vittles, whatever was cheapest and would last longer.  For decades pets survived just fine on these.... I am sure I am going to be reamed for saying this... But it is the truth.  And, a lot of people cannot afford to feed the high grade stuff.... You shouldn't feel guilty about buying Purina cat chow if that is all you can afford.  Just try to put some meat in the diet as well with either some wet food or whatever. 

Cats are not dogs.  They do not need to be confined while you are gone.  You should let him out when you are gone.  He will be less stressed and maybe more affectionate for it. 

mr muffins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This may be the most obvious advice ever but, 

Really, give it some time. I have yet to meet a cat that is completely comfortable, and acts like his "usual self" after completely changing his surroundings. My experience has been that kittens have an easier time adapting, but adult cats, need some time to get comfortable in their new environment. 

Not wanting to be held is actually rather common with cats. Both my cats like being held ( at certain times ) but I'd say most cats actually dislike it. Then there is also the timing of it. When he's drowsy and feels like snoozing he may not mind being held, but when he's active and walking around he may not feel like it. 

If I were you, I'd give him free reign of the house, even at night or when you are out. Unless there is something wrong and he is somehow very destructive, more bad things can come from keeping him isolated in a room then good things. When there are no behavior problems, it is also simply not necessary. Letting him explore the place on his own will also help with him getting comfortable in his new surroundings. My guess is that he will  be less stressed once you do so. 

Last edited:

1iora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know this thread is very old, but I want to give you all an update!  The cat is wonderful.  He came around really well.  I think his aloofness was a function of being a stray.  He sleeps on the bed, always.  For most of the night at the foot, but in the morning we'll wake up with him tucked under one of our arms our laying right between our heads.  He lays on our chests while we watch tv, and kneads us obnoxiously before tipping over and laying upside down in our armpits until we have to get up.  He's very mellow and easygoing - good in car rides, and sometimes we take him for walks to the pet store for his food.

We currently have a foster kitten, and he was so great with her right away.  No other cats would pay the kitten any mind, but he holds her down and grooms her incessantly while she protests loudly.  Then he lets her eat first.

We also figured out that he just has a slow digestive tract or something of the like.  If we supplement his dry food with enough wet (he loves freeze dried fish flavors), he does fine.  And he's allergic to peas and/or potatoes, which caused him to have asthma attacks, so we have to be careful about the ingredients of his foods.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do love it when people come back to a thread and give an update. I am happy that he has turned into a snuggle-bug. There is no feeling of comfort like having a cat or three sleeping with you. Now how about some pictures? Please?

1iora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Photos.

Sorry for the weird editing - I'm uncomfortable with personal photos being posted publicly.

I wanted you guys to see this because it's pretty funny.  Hopefully you can tell despite the chopping.  We were taking pictures with him and he stretched his chin up and leaned his head against my chin/cheek so it looks like he's posing with us.

He's doing a good job mothering the foster kitten

(apparently this is comfy for him)

(this also happens with the computer, of course)

(we decorated him a lot this day. Sometimes we take advantage of his good nature.)

(he's only allowed outdoors supervised)

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for the pictures. I too am uncomfortable with personal photos posted publicly. Your cat is a beautiful classic red tabby. He looks almost like a young cat. And your foster is a gorgeous tortie. Thank you for adopting an older cat. They can be as loving and playful as a kitten.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I LOVE the first picture! Tooo cute!  I'd frame it!  
  What a ham! 

Thank you for the update!  It is great to get updates on old threads!!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
They are gorgeous photos...

And what a great little fosterer your boy turned out to be!  That really bodes well for future fosters.

msbedelia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The pictures totally came through even with the editing. I would do the same.

What a lovely boy!