Newly Adopted Cat Behaviors Help

Podoko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, I just adopted a cat Poki a few days ago and things are going rather well despite a few behavior concerns. I have had the same two cats for 15+ years and my older guy passed away in april. I wanted to adopt an older cat when I felt ready because they often have different and some times difficult behaviors and people go so crazy over kittens.

Poki is 9yrs old, female and was surrendered due to the owner developing allergies. From watching her behaviors (protecting a dark closet place by swiping/biting, frantic searching for high places, quickness to give a warning bite when touched anywhere other than her back and head with her permission) I am fairly certain she was just very stressed from the small kids in the home and ended up claiming a closet to hide in, got a bit sedentary, and didn't feel safe to groom herself, thus making the closet a fur and dandruff bomb.

I have been working with her by doing a lot of slow blinking, and when she lashes out I do more blinking to tell her she won't be reprimanded (she cringes after swiping or biting) and there's only calm talk and I wait a minute or two and gently go to pet her again which she accepts. She doesn't break skin when biting even though she goes for the bite first so I take that as a good sign, lol. She has already let me open my hand wider and get her sides and I am working on calmly touching her legs and then feet. I think she used to like being given pet all over because she goes to roll on her back but then stops herself because she might have had to protect her belly flab from being grabbed.

She hasn't eaten without throwing it up yet but I am feeding her the same stuff she had, blue buffalo senior dry, and she bizarrely has no interest in wet food. I feed dry in the morning and a 3 Oz can of wet at night to my other girl. They have separate food, water, and litter boxes right now but the intro is going well. Poki basically was more worried I was hiding small kids around the corner, she looked at Ween my other cat like 'what in the world is your prob' when she growled. Separate rooms with an exchange via carrier so each could explore the territory with other smells. They are still separated but can be in the same room no less than 6 feet apart.

Poki is good with the blinking and looking away but Ween would be shooting deadly lasers if she could so I intervene by sitting between them and blinking slow at Ween when she death stares for more than 6 secs until she blinks back. I am definitely the boss, but I kind of feel like an idiot because I think I realized Ween was waiting her whole life for my old guy to pass away so she could have me all to herself.

I just want to know if my interpretations of her actions and my responses seem good because I have not had to deal with behavioral issues like this before nor have I had to introduce cats for so 10 years or so.

Poking has some acceptable safe high places for her to go that I made but I am trying to teach her the ground is safe too. Also I won't be able to respond to this thread until tomorrow as I am at work on wifi and I have to go now

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am definitely the boss, but I kind of feel like an idiot because I think I realized Ween was waiting her whole life for my old guy to pass away so she could have me all to herself.
Hi there! I'm glad to hear that you adopted a cat that clearly needs a good home :) It sounds like Poki is still nervous and getting used to your house, but is starting to settle in. Everything that you have posted sounds ok to me, but I'm not too sure that I understand what you mean when you say that you are the boss. Is she being aggressive towards you? If she is lashing out at you when you touch her I'd suggest taking a step back and give her space.

The puking obviously isn't ideal. Do you have a vet appointment to get her checked over?

One thing you might want to pay attention to while petting her is whether or not she has any hotspots that she doesn't want you to touch. She's a bit older, and if she doesn't want you touching parts of her body that could point to something like arthritis or other kinds of pain.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Poor Poki, sounds like that kitty has had some challenging (even traumatic) situations to live through.

You're doing fine - just don't force anything. Allow Poki to come to the realization that you are the giver of all good things, --but this is important, you really should slow down and wait until Poki approaches you.

Give her a break from your petting etc sessions and give her a break from learning good things about the floor. You have all the time in the world now, but she doesn't know that and it sounds like she could use a little peace and quiet.

Try some music for both these kitties - there's an app called Relax My Cat, there's MusicForCats.com and also classical harp music etc.

Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do)

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

You, Your Cat And Stress

Also, try one or two of these items below - she's likely unable to keep her food down due to the stress, maybe the kitten glop or pedialyte will help getting some nutrients into her. (just a note, I've seen that some people are using nutritional yeast but I'm wary of this one-too much can cause the uric acid to become too high and the cat could end up with kidney issues.)

There are also some toppers/enticements for later on to try, if you're still interested in getting her on to wet food;

You could double-check with your vet just to be sure these things are ok.
Try kitten food, depending on the brand, it'll have higher protein.

Try some raw egg yolk. Egg white must always be cooked, and some people cook the white and make a slurry of sorts by adding in the raw yolk.

Try making this;
tent test for dehydration and home-made pedialyte recipe - The Daily Kitten

Also, try making one of these;
Kitten Glop Recipes - Supplementing Cats and Kittens with nutritious formula you make at home: presented by Bengal Cat breeder Foothill Felines. --This website has a number of kitten glop recipes, with ingredients that you may very well have in your house.

These can be used on their own or combined with food. Also, if you heat the food a little - stir it so there aren't any hot spots from the microwave. Or you could heat some water, about a tablespoon, and add that to canned food. A small glass works to stir it all up.
  • Chicken, beef or ham flavored baby food such as Gerber Stage 2 - make sure there is no garlic or onions in the ingredients
  • Tuna and/or the juice, a low mercury/low/no sodium brand is called SafeCatch
  • Salmon, mackerel
  • Sardines (make sure there are no bones)
  • boiled cut up chicken or turkey with no seasonings
  • canned kitten food any brand - it's usually smelly. See if it's eaten on its own, then maybe mix it in or put on top
  • Try mixing in Kitten Milk Replacer - there are recipes on the internet or store bought
  • Fish, tuna or BBQ flavored canned wet food (I personally have never seen BBQ flavors, but...)
  • Lickable cat treats or pouch treat 'gravy' poured over the food
  • kitten glop (recipes in website link above)
  • Bonito flakes
  • fortiflora
  • fish oil
  • green beans, asparagus mushed up
  • goat milk, or no lactose cow milk
  • whole cooked eggs (the white must always be cooked) or raw egg yolk now and then
  • broth with no salt and no garlic or onion or seasonings of any kind
  • There are also commercial toppers, Applaws is a brand that can work well as a topper
  • Some good treats would be freeze dried Purebites, Orijen, Meowtinis, Meowables
  • There are also Lickimats that you could spread types of soft food onto, even plain unflavored yogurt, and even freeze it. Licking something can help a cat to feel better emotionally The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats
  • shredded cheddar cheese

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello ad welcome to TCS. You seem to have an excellent understanding of Poki's behaviors, and you have been putting yourself in her shoes coming from a home with children who can let's face it be less than gentle with cats. Poki seems to have a sweet nature, in that she knows she's not supposed to bite or scratch but she probably feels that this is the only way she can communicate that she's not comfortable with what you are doing. It sounds like she's not used to anyone taking other cues from her, so try to spot any other subtle hints if you can when she's had enough.

For your other cat, they've lost a life long companion and it's only natural that Ween will be a little bit annoyed someone else is in the house. Scent swapping and introduction via carriers is great, but if you've only had the cats together for a few days maybe try taking it a little slower.

Separate them by a door, feed them routinely on both sides, use some bits of card or soft bedding material and swap this over regularly every couple of days to get their scents mixed in a bit before doing another face to face.

Overall I think you are putting a great amount of effort in and with someone as dedicated to making it work as you are you and your cats will do fine. Really, let the cats lead you and don't worry if you feel like things take a step back, just start over and push forward because it will get easier.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure why you feel like you need to be able to touch her anywhere. A feral or more likely a stray we rescued would initially bite if pet anywhere below the shoulders. She will tolerate it a little now that we are bonded, but she doesn't like it, and if you aren't super focused on being careful, she will protest and gently nip. She just doesn't like to be petted everywhere, and I didn't bond with her by forcing that. Some cats just don't like it. I guess its a problem if its a long hair cat, but for a short hair, just pet them where they like.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure why you feel like you need to be able to touch her anywhere. A feral or more likely a stray we rescued would initially bite if pet anywhere below the shoulders. She will tolerate it a little now that we are bonded, but she doesn't like it, and if you aren't super focused on being careful, she will protest and gently nip. She just doesn't like to be petted everywhere, and I didn't bond with her by forcing that. Some cats just don't like it. I guess its a problem if its a long hair cat, but for a short hair, just pet them where they like.
I actually disagree with this, although I do understand why you would think it. I do think it is important to touch your cats simply because it is one of the best ways that you can use to check their health. Things like small cuts, hotspots, ticks, abscesses, lumps, fleas, etc. are all problems that you might miss if you can't touch your cat. I certainly don't think that people need to be aggressive about touching when the cat doesn't want it, but it does need to be done from time to time.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
After rescuing my cat Coco she stayed under the couch for 3 months. Then my bedroom and would eat with my cats but very cautious. Finally, she goes to the living room on her own and eats with my cats.no longer cautious . She will even play in my living room and dining room. It took a year. I would brush her every day and play with her. She and my cat Peaches chase each other around. Still afraid of Maggie if she walks toward her. Otherwise Coco will play right in front of Maggie. Coco is 5, maggie 6,and Peaches 7 yrs old. It took Coco a yr to have enough courage to be close to my cats.

Give it time. I bet they will become bffs. Peaches was with my cat Josie( passed almost 17). They would groom each other. Though when I rescued Peaches 5 weeks old, Josie did not like it.

When I rescued Maggie at 3 months she stayed in an inclosed bed. Every time she would grab for me I quietly say no. Then she stopped. Fast learner. Even taught her not to get involved when I play with Peaches by pushing my arm back. I wish Coco could understand that Maggie knows to sit and wait when I play with her.

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats, like Peaches, do not like being touched on their back but love being scratched on their back next to the tail. Please do find out if she might need an xray to check for arthritis. Coco loves to be brushed. She will purr loud and kneed her paws. I use baby blankets!