Newly Adopted 8 Yr Old Cat Escapes

Luc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you let your cat out ( I do too ) there are a few tips:

1) Microchip your cat.

2) Have him wearing an elastic/ break away collar and tag with your telephone number.

3) Spay/ sterilize your cat so he won't go far looking for the opposite sex and so that he won't fight to mate.

3) Remove the bell that is often attached to the collar ! If you leave it, it will expose your cat to dangers because his position will be advertised at all times to unfriendly humans and animals. The ringing bell takes away his natural skills to move stealthy and in incognito. Very bad.

4) Feed your cat before letting him out so he won't go looking for food.

5) If there are no coyotes or many cars you can consider letting him out at night or really early in the morning. At night there are less people, animals cars, noises and the cat vision is better.

Although the best and safest compromise it is always walk your cat on a leash not everyone has the time or patience to do so. A clicker and treats should help to train a cat walking on a leash regardless of the age. It is important to walk the cat right next to the house or the front door. If the cat can not make a connection or link between his safe home and the unknown outside world he will be almost always stressed out and unhappy.

No need to take the cat to walk in a beautiful park, it should be right outside. We live on the second floor and at first for my cats going down the stairs was already an adventure. But that's how they learn about their surrounding and how they slowly get comfy going outside. Although going outside for a cat is not walking like a dog. The cat will spend most of the time sitting, standing still and observing. That is why it does not work for everyone.

Letting the cat out is always a risk, but in my opinion it is unfair to confine a cat to an apartment for the rest of his life.

A happy cat eats sleeps grooms and hunts.

When my cats go out in the garden they like to ambush each other, chase birds and lizards and everything that moves. They like to hide, eat grass, dig holes and climb on trees. Other times they just sit or nap under the sun for a while and do not really go anywhere at all. Both cats are balanced and happy and to me this is priceless and totally worth it.

By the way your cat looks great. Keep her inside for another week or two. Once she calms down and she understands that your place is safe she will lower her guard with new people walking in. At that point it will be ok to casually open the door :-)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Emilyem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

1) Microchip your cat.

2) Have him wearing an elastic/ break away collar and tag with your telephone number.

3) Spay/ sterilize your cat so he won't go far looking for the opposite sex and so that he won't fight to mate.

3) Remove the bell that is often attached to the collar ! If you leave it, it will expose your cat to dangers because his position will be advertised at all times to unfriendly humans and animals. The ringing bell takes away his natural skills to move stealthy and in incognito. Very bad.

5) If there are no coyotes or many cars you can consider letting him out at night or really early in the morning. At night there are less people, animals cars, noises and the cat vision is better.

Although the best and safest compromise it is always walk your cat on a leash not everyone has the time or patience to do so. A clicker and treats should help to train a cat walking on a leash regardless of the age. It is important to walk the cat right next to the house or the front door. If the cat can not make a connection or link between his safe home and the unknown outside world he will be almost always stressed out and unhappy.

No need to take the cat to walk in a beautiful park, it should be right outside. We live on the second floor and at first for my cats going down the stairs was already an adventure. But that's how they learn about their surrounding and how they slowly get comfy going outside. Although going outside for a cat is not walking like a dog. The cat will spend most of the time sitting, standing still and observing. That is why it does not work for everyone.

Letting the cat out is always a risk, but in my opinion it is unfair to confine a cat to an apartment for the rest of his life.

When my cats go out in the garden they like to ambush each other, chase birds and lizards and everything that moves. They like to hide, eat grass, dig holes and climb on trees. Other times they just sit or nap under the sun for a while and do not really go anywhere at all. Both cats are balanced and happy and to me this is priceless and totally worth it.

By the way your cat looks great. Keep her inside for another week or two. Once she calms down and she understands that your place is safe she will lower her guard with new people walking in. At that point it will be ok to casually open the door :-)
Thank you so much for such a thorough reply! I’m a bit busy at the moment but will reply when I get the chance. Forgot to mention though, the picture is from her previous owners so that is why the picture was taken outside (she was inside/outside). I have pictures of her recently but couldn’t find them. Sorry if that was confusing haha!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Emilyem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

1) Microchip your cat.

Thanks again for such a detailed response! My family actually owns three indoor outdoor cats, and then this cat and a kitten who will eventually be indoor/outdoor ( yes, it's a lot, too many. All of them except for one are rescues that we were asked to take in. We had three and then were asked to take in two more, within two days, this summer. All the homes we found fell through so now we have five). So we're pretty used to everything needing to be done with that, but I really appreciate the information! Our cats generally stay within the yard (or very close to it as it is fully fenced in) and I have taught them to come when I call, they are all spayed and neutered too so we've never had too many problems with them being gone. Part of me would love to keep them inside, but with so many it's hard, and they all love to be outside so much I'd hate to take that away from them. I'm currently trying to work on transitioning Socks to indoor/outdoor. She wants to go outside, but has been terrified to. She stands by the door waiting, will even go out a few steps, but runs right back inside. Her previous owners said she loved being outside and I can tell she is bored and anxious so I think this will help. I have been going out and giving her treats right outside the front door so she understands it is safe. My biggest fear is that if she is not adjusted to being outside, she'll bolt again, which is the main reason I am trying to get her adjusted (hopefully that makes sense). If anyone has any suggestions on what to do, I'd really appreciate it, thank you!!!

Luc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are welcome.

If Socks has been at your house 2-3 weeks it is unlikely that she will bolt and leave a safe place with food and and a roof over her head.

It is totally normal for the cat to hang by the open door for a long time. You are already doing the right things, but you need to be patient.

If you want the cat to be a little more adventurous and explore your yard, just open the door in the evening or night.