Newly Adopted 2 Yr Old Feral From Hoarding Situation

pkpkpk1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You are doing exactly the right thing. I had that type of cat for years and it's very rewarding to help them out.

Keep doing what you're doing, you've given

Would b concerned about the FELV and your other cat. Hope all works out.

5 days ago I adopted a 2.5 year old cat from a shelter. He had been rescued from a hoarding situation where he lived with 28 other cats. Apparently, it was the cleanest hoarding situation police/rescue had ever seen. All cats were clean, healthy and well cared for.

What I didn’t realize is.. they were also feral. Feral meaning zero human interaction/fear of humans. They were all indoor only so had never been outside, all related. But the fear of humans runs deep.

I did not know this and probably wouldn’t have adopted Milo had I known. I thought he was just being shy with me. But when it took 3 professionals 20 minutes to get him in a carrier for me to bring home, my anxiety grew and I knew this was a feral cat.

I chose him because he LOVES other kitties. I watched him grooming his brother and playing with other kitties. The notes on his file kept repeating how much this guy loves kitties. I needed a cat that would hopefully bond with my current cat Charlie who just lost his brother 5 weeks ago today. He is very needy and loving and misses that companionship.

Okay long post sorry, what I’m looking for is help/advice. Now that Milo has been with me for 5 days, I am becoming attached even though he fears me. I go into his room (he’s isolated) and take naps, read aloud, play with wand toys and give him freeze dried chicken treats. He was starting to do better, even coming out to eat his meal with me sitting right there. But yesterday I had a vet come to the house to test him for FIV/FELV and give him an exam. That was a disaster requiring sedation and it set us back a bit.

Milo will still take treats right out of my fingers which I think is a good sign. Any advice on how to gain this little man’s trust? I watch him on the camera set up in his room and he is hysterical. Running through the toy tunnel, dragging his wand toys around etc. Last night since he got the clear from the vet I let him and Charlie play with the wand toys under the 1 inch crack under the door. Milo sits at the door after we leave and looks for Charlie.

Is 2 too old to socialize? Will he accept Charlie and vice versa? (a couple days ago I opened the door a bit and Charlie hissed and growled at Milo. Milo didn’t react but sat there and watched him)

Milo .. I mean look at that face:

View attachment 199729