Newer older kitten chasing resident younger kitten

kitten_cuddles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I introduced my 5 month old kitten(Raven) to a 11 month old kitten(Nala) that I adopted a few weeks ago and everything went well they've even slept together a few times and are eating together fine but Raven seems to chase, pounce and nip Nala in the back a lot and it Nala is always hides and swats when it happens then runs away to a new place back and forth. It doesn't seem like she wants to play but there's no hissing or growling so I'm asking if there actually playing even though Nala never initiates the chase? Should I intervene or no😅

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Is there a chance you could get a video and post it?

Last edited by a moderator:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can pretty much guarranty its totally fine just based on the ages alone. A very active five month old kitten can have more play drive than a relatively chill 11 month old, and that can lead to the occassional leave-me-alone swat, but with these ages it wont progress past that. As the kitten chills out a bit, play should be more mutual. There is no need to intervene, and it would rapidly become a full time job if you tried. You can't really teach a 5 month old kitten not to act like a 5 month old.

Most 11 month olds would be giving better than they get, generally they are close to as playful as kittens, just bigger, but all cats are different. Your 11 month old might be a bit more laid back than average, or maybe hasn't fully adjusted to the idea of a new cat yet. That said, the odds of a cat under a year having a truly difficult time adjusting to a kitten are just very tiny. So feel free to keep watch for changes, but I'd be shocked if things go south.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitten_cuddles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The 11 month old kitten is the newer guy though. I bottlefed the 5 month old til now and just got the 11 month old in the middle of December. The 11 month old seems to be the aggressor as well while the 5 month old is giving smacks, running and eventually hissing. The 11 month old isn't getting the hint to leave her sister alone

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitten_cuddles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm trying to but maybe I have to switch from my phone to the laptop?