Newborn kitten that mother abandons

Firgie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yesterday, my sis & I came across a kitten that was just born. We have the mother cat,but she’s abandoned this kitten leaving it for death,but we’re trying to keep it alive and not sure what else to do to keep it alive. Also, we had it inside a cat bed that was on top of the picnic table and it crawled out. We found it lying on the ground shortly afterwards. Today, it looks like the tips of its paws, both front & back, along with the tip of its nose and behind the ears seem to have turned more of a red color than its pinkish color. Is this baby kitty going to survive? I really hope so.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not the expert, but maybe I can help. Infant kittens cannot regulate their body heat, so get it inside and wrap it in a blanket. A large cat carrier is ideal. Put a heating pad on medium with a towel or something over it so baby can keep warm.
For feeding: My personal preference is powdered kitten formula mixed with goats milk. Follow directions and just replace the water with the goats milk. Heat this on the stove (in a container) in a pan with water until warm...not hot. if you put some on your wrist and it's hot, then no. If it's just a little warm, that's perfect. I always used a bottle, but some people have had better luck with a syringe. Just make sure not to aspirate it. Feed it like it would be feeding from mama. Don't hold it like a human baby. Lay it on a solid object on it's belly (floor, table, ect) with it's head tilted up a little. Do this every two hours, even through the night.
You will need to stimulate it for poop and pee by gently wiping the genitals with a warm soft cloth until it goes.
The fact that mama abandoned it concerns me a little, but if she's a new mama, this could be the reason.

I will tag the experts for you ... Sarthur2 Sarthur2 , StefanZ StefanZ

Edit: If it hasn't eaten since yesterday, you need to do this immediately.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yesterday, my sis & I came across a kitten that was just born. We have the mother cat,but she’s abandoned this kitten leaving it for death,but we’re trying to keep it alive and not sure what else to do to keep it alive. Also, we had it inside a cat bed that was on top of the picnic table and it crawled out. We found it lying on the ground shortly afterwards. Today, it looks like the tips of its paws, both front & back, along with the tip of its nose and behind the ears seem to have turned more of a red color than its pinkish color. Is this baby kitty going to survive? I really hope so.
Is the kitten all white? If yes, so these reddening is probably she is a point..."siamese-mix" and so colouring more and more of the pointed places is natural.
Lets hope the kitten didnt got hurt when falling down from the table.

Moms abandoning a kitten is often a bad sign; some ARE bad mothers, but often momma thinks kitten is a goner, so she abandons it to give 100% to the remaining kittens... Survival instinct.

That said, such a kitten where mom couldnt help out, can sometimes by saved by a vigilant caretaker. No quarantees, but chances are often decent...

You must handfeed... Some good kmr or goats milk. Bottle is easiest, but you will perhaps need to use a syringe or a dropper.... Mini miracle nipples is what is often recommended.

Keep the kitten warm. Not too warm, but being cold is very serious. Dont feed before the kitten is warm.

If kitten still cold, or you dont have gears, you can smear smow white caro syrup on the gum, inside the lip... Or give some boiled sugar water... Body tempered.
Glucose sugar in there will go directly into blood, it doesnt need to be digested. And it gives some nourishment. Kitten wont grow on it, but it will survive a couple of days if necessary.

Please continue to report and ask questions.