newborn Kitten help

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I got him to latch by himself a little bit ago! :D I put him up to the nipple and he sucked and latched all by himself! This is good progress! I don't think I'm going to get any sleep tonight. I'm probably going to stay up all night to see if I can get him to latch every two hours or so ^-^ The good thing is that he actually showed he was looking for it when I put him up to it c: I had to move a couple kittens out in a warm box in another room so the smaller ones can have their turn at nursing and then I rotated them when mom got up. Alright so add some water to the honey. Will do. I need to get. Syringe 2. Scale 3. Caro syrup 4. Maybe honey 

Goats milk? My mom's boyfriend used to live on a farm and his mom has some goats. Would that be okay? They can get it raw. I can see if anyone near me has a scale in the morning. Lets hope they do. Okay I think I got how to put in the syringe in it's mouth. I might come back and ask some questions later once I have it, just to be sure and on the safe side since I'm probably going to be a little paranoid on doing it. I do want to make sure he is getting enough. I will see if putting a nipple on it will work. Mama has stopped bleeding as bad as she was, as I don't see any spots anymore as she walks, so I think that's a good sign for now. I will see about borrowing money from a friend for the vet bill, but I'm not sure if it'll work since I'm not sure if he's in a money situation or not. I could see about selling some things as well. What site is it that helps you raise money? I'd love to know. That might help too. I will see if I can locate the health forums, since I'm new I'm not exactly sure where that is yet. How much would you estimate her vet bill to be for this? I will try to see about calling our local vet. I'm not experienced with vets, but I do know their pretty expensive. I can also see if I can try to get ahold of some relatives. I'm glad too that he was able to get moms first milk. I know that it's vital for them, because it has stuff in it to protect them from getting sick. How many times a day should I help stimulate them? After each feeding? I will try to do that. So I will add some water to our honey to put in the Kmr, and should that be it? Do you recommend putting anything else in the formula to make it better? Once I get Caro syrup should I start putting that in instead of the honey? Should work, and maybe even better. The honey and syrup can both be used for rubbing on the gums? How much? Just a drop should do?
I see things in overall are going better.  Momma not longer bleeing so much - if it stops, just perhaps some watery red colored discharge, you can perhaps even wait with that vet visit at this moment.  Its huryying just if she is bleeding for real....

The link I talked about was this

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/no-money-for-vet-care-how-to-find-help-and-save-your-cats-life

Good goat milk will come come soon.  its useful for momma too, with her big litter...   Full fat cartooned from Walmart is OK too, but raw is best...

Yes, elimanting essentially at every feeding.  Some find it easier to do it before the feeding!  Even if we instinctively do it after...

you can use either honey or caro syrup, you dont need to use both.  just a little in the little ones formula.  There IS some glucose sugar already in KMR, but a weak one may need more...  Dont dilute the formula with more than you need - adding more is in a way diluting more, and the kitten needs the nourishment...

Vet costs, yeay... it depends in much on the vet.  Vet in a cheap spaying clinic will take less than the regular vet.  and emergency vet takes a minor fortune...

About 100 dollars for a visit, + costs for shots...    X-ray costs too about 100 dollars, so if palpitation (examining with hands) and perhaps ultrasound is enough, take it, its the X-ray part which costs.    Taking a full exam of blood samples costs too...

Some vets take a payment plan, some not.

You being young and nicely mobile, you can perhaps go around the neigbourhood, and promise to do some work?  For example, now there are many apples.  For many its mostly a nuisance. But if you, a young and agile person, help to fetch them in.... Perhaps help with baking...

Helping with haning up gardines for the oldies, or changing lamps, where they must step up on a chair.  Dangerous for them, nothing much for you...

Later on help with the leaves...  Just some ideas.

fostersrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Observe, many vets arent good at helping weak kittens.  Qute a few dont even know how to tube...  So do phone before you go to such a vet.  Be sure he can and want show you, and lend you gears....
This is btw the main reason we dont mention tube feeding more often - vets often dont know how, and its risky to try yourself, if you hadnt been showed exactly, and have the right gears.  
Feeding with syringe is usually enough good.

Cleft palate was mentioned (hole in thr roof of the mouth) - if the cleft  isnt too big, the kitten can often survive.  Their problem is they cant suckle properly, so bottle feeding doesnt helps.  the trick is to syringe feed them.  Syringe fed  its enough they can swallow...
Tube feeding is another option of course, but amateur rescuers do it seldom.   Semi professional rescuers on the other hand, they often have many charges at once, so they simply donthave time to sit and feed them drop after drop...

Re the foot.  We had similiar cases earlier, where the owner went to the vet. Usually the vet tells them to wait and see... If its because it is really what to do, or example  most vets arent good with small kittens,  is a speculatition.

The kittens may make it (possibly with losing the foot but sruviving nicely)  or they dont make it, if the damage was big...  It varies, and its just to fight on.
As you describe it,  your kittens foot isnt too bad, with any luck should be OK.
The advice you got to massage it regularly is a good one.
How interesting. I did not know that. I was taught by a vet at our shelter how to tune feed and when I had another group of kittens not through the shelter I brought them to my personal vet and a tech walked me through it again and kept them there for the day while I worked and tube fed. Personally, I think it's easy once you know what you are doing:p