New young kitty - overly stressed roommate- HELP

bvett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all. I recently took an adorable kitty off the streets. The last two or so weeks I’ve got his shots and he just got neutered Wednesday With that being said - he’s 8 months old and meows like an Oprah singer. He has general kitten behavioral issues however I cannot get him to stop coming after my female cat - biting her neck and mounting her ( however that’s how far it goes- she gets very mad and prior to neutering they’ve been kept apart) my roommate has the “2020 short fuse” and needs the cat to be “normal”. I’m obviously aware that, that does not just happen. Any tips to help a kitten settle into his new home easy with another cat? He likes the dog.
a pop on the butt or spray bottle don’t seem to be effective. And his attention span to treats is kinda low. Or any advise on when they do simmer down on their own? It’s my first male kitten I’m trying to keep and he’s got amazing potential to be my forever buddy. I’m quite good & patient at taking care of tricky animals but with my roommates current short fuse, any extra tips I may take with me y’all have tried yourselves will be great!

B81422B4-E65B-40E9-A37C-F804AD28C640.jpeg

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi B bvett

8 months old is kind of mature to be neutered. We usually suggest people get their cats fixed at around five months old. Right now he's just actin like a typical young tom, which is why he's showing all this unwanted behaviour. But he's fixed now, so things will start getting better.

He will still have all his male hormones as he's only just been neutered. These will gradually decrease over the next month, but please be aware that male cats can father kittens up to 30 days after being fixed. So, you need to keep him indoors and away from any intact female cats for at least a month.

However, his yowling and trying to mount your female cat should stop once his testosterone levels drop. Just be patient.

Is the female cat spayed? If not you will need to get her fixed soon too.

Here are a couple of articles that might help you to calm him down.

Cat Behavior Problems [What to do and what not to do] – TheCatSite Articles

Why Do Cats…? A Guide To Understanding Feline Behavior – TheCatSite Articles

I'm going to include this one too, because he may benefit from some outside time once he's fully recovered from being neutered.

Harness And Leash Training For Cats – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bvett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Thank you for all this!! I would have gotten him neutered sooner but he was already 8 months when I found him. But did jump on it ASAP.
And yes my Female cat is spayed, she’s about 1 1/2

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You might want to get some Comfort Zone or Feliway diffusers to help calm things down in your house.