New Water Bottles

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
If you drink a lot of water from water bottles, I'm curious - how do you like the thinner plastic, and/or the smaller bottle caps?

I just love it when I begin to open the bottle and the locked-on cap is difficult to twist off.

As I'm holding tightly to the bottle in order to twist off the top I get water all over the place while I'm fighting to get the cap off.

On some bottles I have to use something like a nut cracker, or pliers in order to twist off the top.

Pretty soon, the water bottlers will start putting their water in plastic wrap, then all I'll have to do to open it is stick a pin in it.

Just frustrating - wondered if anyone else noticed the inconvenience. ??

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hate the new bottles/// I often have more strength than I know and I have literal broken a few just squeezing them...

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, I've noticed! I don't like it either... Though of course, I'm one of those that uses my own and just washes and refills it.

But when I do have to use those water bottles, I don't like it! Anything for the environment, though!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't drink bottled water. There is no health regulation when it comes to bottled water. Yes, it does get tested, but very infrequently.

I drink tap water. It's way better for you. Not only that, but it's also so much cheaper.

Compared to gasoline, a gallon of bottled water is something like 5 or more times as expensive as a gallon of gasoline.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ohhhh, you mean boughten water in bottles...

I thought you meant reusable water bottles, and was going to say that I haven't noticed a difference, but then again I haven't boughten a new one in months.

I don't drink bottled water unless I run out of my water in reusuable bottle.... Then I'll buy a water. Yes, the plastic is thin on some brands.... and I don't like that (I reuse the bottles as ice packs)...but the Dasani water bottles seem to be of normal thickness.

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If people would recycle more, they wouldn't have to thin out the bottles. Natural resources are disappearing...

Wow, do I sound like an enviromentalist?? Especially here in CA, where you get 5 cents back on empties, I'm still seeing tons of cans and bottles in the trash.

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I stopped buying bottled water years ago because it was getting expensive and I don't have much space to store them. So I got myself a Sigg bottle and last year I got myself a giant Clean Kanteen stainless steel bottle that I use and refill everyday.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't had a problem with them.
I don't tighten my bottle lids down really tight (can't anymore) so getting a bottle open again isn't difficult.
I do like that you can crunch the thinner bottles up small.

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't drink bottled water either. I purchased a 1 Liter BPA free Nalgene bottle and drink at least 2 L a day and sometimes more if it's hot here. It saves on plastic and the amount of money you pay for the bottle ($8) pays for itself if you think about how much you'd spend on buying bottled water.

atinsley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We don't have a deposit on water bottles here in MI, but on aluminum we have a 10 cent deposit. I'd say it helps recycling immensely. I wish we would see one on water bottles here.
It's disgusting throwing that much plastic into landfills.

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The amount of plastic being thrown away is really sad. Here in Austin we have curbside recycling and they take all numbered plastics, cardboard, and glass. Being able to recycle so much has made less trash bags in the trash can. We used to only have a little box recycling thing but in the past year they have given us a trash can sized container on wheels and they pick it up every other week. I wish more cities would do this.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of the bottled water is ridiculous with how thin the plastic is, especially Deer Park and Nestle Pure Life. Hubby and I have a water cooler in our house with the 5 gal jugs. I dont like the tap water in our area (my in-laws' behind us had floaties and the water was a ph of 9 ... instead of a neutral 7). In Jersey I would drink my grandma's tap water all the time. If I want to bring water with me, I fill a water bottle thing I got from the store, it was about $2, and holds about 2L of water. Hubby gets the 5 gal jugs at a discount because the guy he works with has a water cooler at their shop and the water guy brings extra now for us.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On some bottles I have to use something like a nut cracker, or pliers in order to twist off the top.

I had to laugh at this line of yours. I also use a nut cracker to open my bottles but mostly they are diet soda bottles. I don't drink bottled water, I have the Brita pitcher. I am not a water drinker at all, I just use it to make coffee and of course give filtered water to Autumn everyday.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm....haven't noticed, since I usually wash and refill the water bottles I have. Eventually I throw them away, but I guess I'll be even better about re-washing them now that I know. I like the little 8 oz. bottles. They're very convenient to throw in my purse. I'm not sure I'd like them to be made out of thinner plastic though.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Memphis has some of the best water in the world, fortunately....so I normally just drink tap water out of a reusable BPA free waterbottle.

When I go running/walking with my dog though, that big bottle is hard to keep hold of (it's large and holds about 42oz I think), so that's the only time I really use disposable water bottles (i normally get the little ones and stick them in my on the treat holder I wear on my pants (it holds my keys, a tiny water bottle, my inhaler, and treats for Hagan - I love it and it gives me freedom to have full control over Hagan's leash.)....I prefer the thicker water bottles to the thinner ones, and when I'm done I recycle them. I don't like the new thinner bottles. I understand they use less material and are supposed to be more environmentally friendly, but they're just inconvient.

atinsley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I actually prefer the feel of the thinner ones in my hand. The smaller cap can be a real pain to open though.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't drink bottled water very often, mainly just when we're driving somewhere a distance away, or somewhere where tap doesn't taste good (we're fortunate to have good tasting water) so maybe I just haven't noticed, but I have NO idea what you guys are talking about. Smaller caps? Thinner plastic? HUH?? lol Sorry if I sound stupid but I honestly don't know. Maybe that just hasn't made it to our area yet?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use stainless steel water bottles and water from my tap (well water, it's yummy!)

If I ever live anywhere the tap water is yucky I'll get a britta filter.

However, I do know what you mean, those of you who use the bottled water, about the thinner bottles that crush when you try to open them because I see women at my gym having problems with them.

I much prefer drinking out of stainless steel though.

Oh, and ladies, drinking out of the tiny mouths of those water bottles all the time makes wrinkles around your lips. Drinking out of those small openings is almost as bad as smoking, where those lip wrinkles are concerned. My stainless steel bottles are wide mouthed.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't drink bottled water anymore, I use my own bottle and refill it and I also have a filter. So I haven't noticed that they have new bottles... I am not paranoid of tap water but the taste is gross unless it's filtered IMO.