New Vet Update

Shalenarh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello again! If you all saw my rant about deciding to change vets. Boo had his first visit with the new vet. I think it went wonderful, she kept me very well informed and elaborated on some things my other vet didn’t or something I probably wouldn’t have asked about. He got examined and she said for his age (16) he looked really good. So she said the blood in his urine could be related to a diet change or a uti. My cats have been on a feeding schedule since December and recently changed his food. But during the food change I did as recommended and changed gradually. They couldn’t get a sample of his urine and after learning I got Oreo’s urine samples on my own asked if I could bring one in after hearing I have luck in this area. I was very happy to learn this can be surprisingly hard thing to do for some. I can understand why my other vet seemed surprised I got Oreo’s urine so quickly. Wow being praised for catching a cat’s urine never would have thought of that one. She even listened to things about Oreo after bringing him up once. After she told me she also had a cat that had kidney disease, I became so more comfortable with this vet. I’m not trying to say other vets wont be able to understand on an emotional level if they have or had a cat with kidney disease. But the fact this vet shared with me things about her own cats something the other vet didn’t do. Once more I’m not trying to say a vet has to tell a complete stranger things about their own pets to be a vet.

But back to Boo. She asked if I would like to have a kidney blood test done but I had a choice not to as he was healthy. I opted to get his kidney values looked at and low and behold Boo‘s kidney values were a little high. She explained what these values where and for the life of me i cannot tell you the two names of those but his were 2.9 and 53. She said it was looking to be kidney disease for Boo. I got his urine sample the moment we got home and brought it in. So just waiting for that to be done probably tomorrow as they send in samples around 4 in the afternoon. In the beginning I went in really nervous as maybe I was overreacting about my other vet and they’re just going to tell me the same thing. I came out very happy with my decision to change vets and an appointment for Oreo has been made. Thank you for all the support and kind words one any of my posts ☺

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Overall, good news about the new vet! Get a copy of the testing that was done, so you have a list of what they tested, what Boo's numbers are, and what the 'normal' ranges are. It helps to have the tests to look at, if for no other reason than it solidifies what the vet discussed with you. And, it is great to have them for comparison purposes as time passes.

I, too, am impressed about your 'knack' at getting a urine sample! Maybe a boy is easier than a girl?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The 2 numbers are the BUN and Creatinine. Did they also check his potassium level? That's also something to watch for kidney kitties.

So glad you found a new vet who seems to be a good fit for you and Boo.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shalenarh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The BUN and Creatinine are the only thing she mentioned. But an update, the vet just got back to me about Boo. His urine is concentrated, protein which I knew was already there from the other vet but he said this is common when there’s problems with the kidney‘s and still visible blood which she is most worried about. She explained to me my options, we could do an x-ray and ultra sound to check for a possible tumor or a urine culture. For now I’m going to go with a urine culture as I let her know when I had taken the other vet a urine sample it looked way darker than the sample I brought in for her. So the metacam and amoxidrops could have helped with something. So right now we are hoping it could just be an infection. If not and an x-ray/ultrasound is needed I will do my best to get this done for Boo as well. He will be going in with Oreo on Wednesday so they can get a sterile urine sample.