New used furniture

missjaguar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi we just received some furniture. What do you suggest to stop cats scratching. Have a scratching posts

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Scratching posts, cardboard scratchers, corner scratchers and products like Paws Off all help to keep cats' claws off the furniture. Keep in mind that for every 'no' there must be an appropriate (to the cat) 'yes'. In this case, that means appropriate places to scratch in the socially significant areas of the home. For example, I have a cat tree next to the sofa, and a cardboard scratcher in front of it. So long as the cats have suitable options there shouldn't be much of an issue :) [article="0"][/article]

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ours refuses to scratch anything we want him to, and scratches everything we don't want him to.

I can pick up the squirt-gun and he will duck and turn his head and continue to scratch.  You can tell he hates the water, but, not enough to stop scratching.
(he'll stop when he's good and ready and that's just his attitude toward everything).

Our sofa's are "army duck", or just "duck" fabric. He LOVES that material and I can't find a scratch or puncture anywhere. It's some GOOD STUFF!
However, the recliners are leather and... shredded. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missjaguar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im using a squirt gun right now. Have to figure something out

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Squirt guns are NOT the way to go. All that'll happen is the cat will get scared of you. It's not an effective deterrent at all. Check out the link I posted before. These might help too[article="32493"][/article][article="29678"][/article]

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Im using a squirt gun right now. Have to figure something out
Please don't do this. The only thing it accomplishes is to make the cat distrust you. As mentioned, it is not a deterrent. The links that were provided are very helpful. If you only have one scratching post, I'd suggest getting another one or more and putting them near the item that you do not want them to scratch.  I give the scratching posts in my house a spritz with some catnip spray from time to time to make them even more enticing. I have 3 cats and between the cat trees and the new hammocks I got them for Christmas, they have 19 scratching posts in total. 10 on the big cat tree, 5 on the smaller one and 2 holding up each hammock. They do not scratch the furniture. 

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suggest purchasing a full sized cat tree with the sisal rope on it. Also, if you haven't started already, now is a good time to start trimming the cat's claws. I do both of my boys' sets of claws fairly often. It's pretty easy to do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missjaguar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone. Have moved one scratching post by the chair. No room for anything rlse