New Tree Tower

TayTay1818

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cousin gave me her Tree Tower, vecause her cats dont use it anymore. I brought it home, scrubbed it with warm water and cat soap to try and get the previous smell out of there. Nala my other cat, hates it and she hisses whenever she is near it or groels. Willow absolutely loves it. Ever since willow started playing on it, nala started hissing and slapping willow when she comes near her. I dont know what to do. Their both spayed, but Nala is the only one that ever went into heat before i got her spayed.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have to get the smell of the previous cat owners off the tree. Enzyme detergents are the best at doing this. You made a good start, but Nala still smells the previous cats on it, and now Willow has picked up the smell. Nala says, "You smell foreign to me! I'm gonna chase you away!" The former cats' smell will dissipate over time and may become integrated into your cats' family smell, but it's going to take a while.

This is perfectly normal for cats. They judge familiarity by smell. I would suggest rubbing both of your cats with fabric from the cat tree to get the smell on both. That's what is recommended when introducing two cats with this problem, but it's hard to get the fabric off to rub them when it's glued to the cat tree. Alternatively, you could possibly put a little vanilla extract behind your cats' ears and rub some on the cat tree as well. That's often suggested to help mask the cats' individual odor when introducing two with issues. Perhaps it will work with the cat tree as well.

This is an odd twist on the smell integration of two cats. Based on other situations, that's what I suggest. Perhaps others will be able to improve on my suggestion.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with V vince . You can also take a slightly damp towel and rub it into both of your cats, and then rub the towel on the cat tree.

Here is the link that explains how to use the vanilla if you choose to go that route: Ode to vanilla extract.

If your cats like catnip, you can try to use that on the cat tree as well. There are catnip sprays you could also buy; I have only tried one before - SmartyKat cat nip spray mist - and it wasn't very good, so I would recommend you try another brand.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TayTay1818

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You have to get the smell of the previous cat owners off the tree. Enzyme detergents are the best at doing this. You made a good start, but Nala still smells the previous cats on it, and now Willow has picked up the smell. Nala says, "You smell foreign to me! I'm gonna chase you away!" The former cats' smell will dissipate over time and may become integrated into your cats' family smell, but it's going to take a while.

This is perfectly normal for cats. They judge familiarity by smell. I would suggest rubbing both of your cats with fabric from the cat tree to get the smell on both. That's what is recommended when introducing two cats with this problem, but it's hard to get the fabric off to rub them when it's glued to the cat tree. Alternatively, you could possibly put a little vanilla extract behind your cats' ears and rub some on the cat tree as well. That's often suggested to help mask the cats' individual odor when introducing two with issues. Perhaps it will work with the cat tree as well.

This is an odd twist on the smell integration of two cats. Based on other situations, that's what I suggest. Perhaps others will be able to improve on my suggestion.
Thank You for the suggestion, we are going to try this. Ill keep you updated on the results. I was also wondering ever since this happened, Nala has been running away from my fiance and i when we try to give her affection. Its very weird for her to be doing this.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nala's probably upset, that's all. This problem is just fallout from the other issue and will pass. She'll get back to her usual loving self in a few days.