New to us 8 year old male first time outside at new house.

shortlid

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We got a new to us 8 year old orange tabby male from a family meber with lotsof cats.  He was a mainly outdoor cat at his previous home but we kept in for the first month at our home.  But it is time for him to go outside.  How shoudl I introduce him to his new property? 

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
What a beautiful, handsome ginger boy! 

Is there are reason why he must go outside?  Just wondering if he's happy inside, as cats are much safer that way.  And with toys and scratching posts and places to climb, inside cats can have really rewarding lives.

I'm presuming he's been neutered, vaccinated and he has his microchip.. they'll be essential in the outside world. 

If you do let hime out, gradual is best.. go with him, and just let him explore little bits at a time.... Try to get him used to coming when called.. give him his favourite treat to encourage him..   And please do keep him in at night.

And welcome to TCS!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

shortlid

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mani thanks for the reply, he was outside 50% of the time at his previous island home.  He tries to get out all the time here even with 2 feet of snow.  The family member that had him said he is much happier outside since he was originally a stray that was rescued at 6 months old.  Also I live in a rural area he has 17 acres behind and 40 acres in front to roam during the day.  I have a chipmunk problem around the house, I hope he licks that like he did the mouse problem in the house.

He is neutered, getting his annual rabies vac in a week, also getting him chipped, got a break away collar for him and a nice brass tag with phone # and address.  And best of all he already comes when he is called constantly.

Last edited:

lesliecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Why is it time for him to go outside?  There are many dangers in rural areas.  Please reconsider and keep him in.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
He is neutered, getting his annual rabies vac in a week, also getting him chipped, got a break away collar for him and a nice brass tag with phone # and address.  And best of all he already comes when he is called constantly.
Great that he comes when he's called... It would be good to keep reinforcing that..  having something that he likes, like mealtime or whatever, whenever he's called, and not calling when you're going to do something he's not fond of!  I'm a bit concerned that he may come when in the house, but outside is a whole new thing.

shortlid

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are right, he does not come as well when called outide.  He will if I crouch down but if I call him in a standing position he runs away if he has not made his full rounds, around the house.

shortlid

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Why is it time for him to go outside?  There are many dangers in rural areas.  Please reconsider and keep him in.
I would but he is very upset when left inside all day, he just sits and watches outside the windows.  And meows by the doors whenever we are near them.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
I would but he is very upset when left inside all day, he just sits and watches outside the windows.  And meows by the doors whenever we are near them.
That's what inside cats do.. the window thing.. and they can be quite happy.  They need things to climb, toys and stimulation but they are much, much safe and statistics proove that they live significantly longer.  My cats have an enclosure outside and they're very, very happy.

Having said that, if you feel he's just not going to be happy, see if you can let him out just for a while each day, and do the treat thing when he's called.  It's great that you care so much about him.. looks like the kids love him too...

It would be lovely to see a bigger picture of him if you have one.. we love pics!

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
There are many here at TCS (myself included) who just love a big, squidgy ginger boy..

He looks very, very contented...

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When my sister left me her indoor outdoor cat, I kept her inside for 2 weeks. When I let her out, she hid and I could not find her for hours (she buried herself among the stuff in the garage closet). She was back indoors with me giving her extra tlc. I knew she was missing her previous family. After 2 days I went with her outdoors. I went with her during her explorations, giving her treats and petting her, calling her name. I did this for about 3 consecutive days. After that, she was at home inside and outside of the house.  

shortlid

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yayi thanks for the tips, I have been out with hm the last threetimes and peted him, whne he came to me.  He seems to geting more used to the area.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In rural areas it's not so dangerous, and I can see why a cat rescued as a stray and having spent eight years outdoors might well be happier outside. I think I will always say that indoors is preferable if it can be done, but in some cases, outdoors is better than usual and safer than usual. Yours I think is one such case.

There are some problems you should be aware of, and check for:
Make sure nobody in your area is setting out poison for rats or other small animals; if your cat eats an animal that has eaten the poison, he may become sick.
Check to see what predators are around. A canny eight-year-old cat is not as vulnerable as a young one, but you do want to watch out for coyotes and some of the larger species of birds of prey (anything that can take a rabbit is probably big enough to be a concern).
Traffic should be low or else the road far away.
Regular flea treatments are a must. Get the kind that goes on the back of the cat's neck, and ask your vet for a prescription version, since some of the cat flea treatments sold in stores were designed for dogs and can be problematic if used on cats.
And don't let him out until he has had his rabies shots.

If you determine the outdoors to be unsafe for a cat, you still have some alternatives which will let your cat enjoy the outdoors safely. An enclosure can be made big enough to contain trees and things to climb in and investigate; it is a relatively simple do-it-yourself project, just make sure that the cat will be unable to dig under or climb over. Some cats, especially the smart, social types, enjoy walking on leashes and can go out with a human even in an urban area. Cats who like to go out just to watch birds and such may be quite satisfied with a nice sunny perch in a big window.

Hope you figure things out!

stella123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
some cats are not happy indoors,no matter how many toys they have,attention they get or climbing posts they have.....they just want out.

my cat was 10 mths when i got him,he cryed all the time to go outside...all night long sometimes...it was so hard listening to him knowing what he wanted and couldn't have.

once he was neutered,(about 2 weeks after i got him)i waited for another 3 weeks...then i went outside with him a few times...then i would watch him from the window....he was timid at first and stayed only in my yard.

I then had a cat flap fitted,now he comes and goes whenever he wants and is much more content and happy..i do keep him in at night locking the catflap.

my cat does answer to his name....but cats are not dogs so they won't always come when you call them.

my cats now 12 mths old and he's in more then out now....he likes going outside...and knows he has a safe home to come back too.

cats are safer indoors...and if my cat was a happy little lap cat then i wouldn't have let him out...but his previous owner let him out also...once a cats tasted freedom like that they dont soon forget....

no doubt a cat is safer indoors....but whats the point in being safe indoors...if your cat is depressed and misrable....id sooner have a happy indoor/outdoor cat personally...and my cat never go's very far at all...even if i can not see him..9/10 i can still hear the bell on his collar....and he doesn't use the nieghbours gardens or yards to go the loo either...he comes back inside to use the litter tray then goes back outside to play and climb and chase bugs...

You will never make an indoor cat of a cat thats 8 yrs old and has experianced life outdoors....that would be like someone telling you that you can never leave your house again ever....after years of doing it.

Its always a risk letting your cat outside so you do have to assess your area you live in first,neuter,chip,have collar with tag on,get all injections done...etc....as the owner of the cat its your choice to let them outside or not.....

my cat has been going out for a while now and always comes back in time to go to bed with me.....its a habit for him now....cats will always come back to you if they can...they know where they live and where the food is and where the safest place in the world is.....with you!!!

so don't let people put you off letting your cat outside because they keep thiers indoors...everyones situation is different as is every cat too!!!

Last edited:

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
While I agree that every situation/cat is different, I beg to differ that it is impossible to convert an older cat to indoors only. My cat was a stray for a while and after we took her in, she begged to go outside, and we let her for about 3 years. We lived in an area then where we thought it was fairly safe. However, after a near miss attack by a neighbor's dog, we converted her to indoors only. Yes, there was crying and begging, but eventually she accepted it and she's perfectly happy now. She doesn't ever cry to get out or rush open doors. Just a testimonial that it can be done.