New To This

Thatcatcanmeeow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone. So I'm the new momma of a ~3 week old orphaned kitten. It was born on a farm. The mother was taken by coyotes, and 2/5 siblings passed away already.
The foster mum said that this ones a bit of a fussy eater, and that it will only take it out of a syringe.
As any new mum, I'm worried that it's not eating enough. (Picking up a scale today to give weights). It had diarrhea this morning, and wouldn't eat afterwards.
I'm going to pick up some Pedialyte(for kittens) just in case the diarrhea persists, but can anyone give me any advice on how to get lil kitten to bottle feed? Thank you, sending much love!

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have heard before of kittens preferring a syringe over a bottle. So, keep feeding him/her with a syringe but also continue to try a bottle as well. One of the tips in the article I am giving you a link to (see below) also says to place a little dab of Karo syrup on his/her tongue to stimulate a sucking response.

The link is for kitten-rescue.com which offers tons of information about caring for an orphaned kitten in case you should find any helpful information in it. It also talks about diarrhea, among many other topics.

Kitten-Rescue.com

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is the kitten doing today?

Did you get a weight on her? It’s the best way to know if she is getting enough kitten milk.

The standard is 8mLs for each ounce of weight divided by the number of feedings in a 24-hour period.

Example: If she weighs 12 ounces, she’ll need a minimum of 96mLs each 24 hours, say feed every 4 hours, which is 6 feedings a day of 16mLs each.

Of course, some kittens are little piggies and can have more if they want it.

I wouldn’t worry that she’s not taking a bottle. If she’s comfortable with a syringe that’s fine. You can buy miracle nipples that are closest to mom’s:

Keep us posted! :)

T Thatcatcanmeeow