new to this and really need help

shirazi1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Goodness I do not know where to start or what to really ask. I am sure all my questions are here somewhere and I am sorry if they are, but I have tried looking. So I am an American living in Saudi Arabia. We do not have all those awesome pet stores and pet products here. Most of it is crap I am sure! After coming to this forum and reading about feeding raw or cooked I decided to go for it. I mean the stuff here that  read all seems horrid and I highly doubt any of it is real. I have a three month old shirazi kitten. We have had her for a week now and she  just was not interested in the food that we bought her and I bought her the best one they had. Ground chicken and lamb is very popular here so it is very easy to get and not all that much. I bought some raw chicken and lamb and she loves both. I cooked the chicken and she ate it. Can cats get sick from raw chicken? I was afraid she could bc I got very sick once from it not being cooked enough and it was BAD sick..

She also loves the lamb, I cooked it, but worried about the fat so I washed it afterwards so none was left. I gave her some raw of that and she loved it. What should I do and what is better? Plain greek style yogurt is super popular here so it is easy and cheap to get as well. She LOVES it and ate an entire can in a few days. I read about ground egg shells so I need to do that if she has yogurt? Rabbit and beef are not really easy to get here and if they were it would be way too much anyway. I doubt if I could find all the other supplies as well..

How much should a kitten her age be eating a day? How many times should she be fed? How much yogurt per day? Should I cook or do it raw and what recipes should I follow? I am so new to all of this I have never even read it or heard of it before here. I just want to do what is best for her :)

Thank you in advance I love this place and really appreciate your knowledge..

2ketzels

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know kitties should NOT have milk - NOT have dairy!  - so you need to find out if yogurt is ok.

A vital ingredient missing from non-cat food is:  taurine!!  Taurine is in every commercially-produced cat food. 

good luck and I'm sure an 'expert' online will answer you soon.

:)

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Goodness I do not know where to start or what to really ask. I am sure all my questions are here somewhere and I am sorry if they are, but I have tried looking. So I am an American living in Saudi Arabia. We do not have all those awesome pet stores and pet products here. Most of it is crap I am sure! After coming to this forum and reading about feeding raw or cooked I decided to go for it. I mean the stuff here that  read all seems horrid and I highly doubt any of it is real. I have a three month old shirazi kitten. We have had her for a week now and she  just was not interested in the food that we bought her and I bought her the best one they had. Ground chicken and lamb is very popular here so it is very easy to get and not all that much. I bought some raw chicken and lamb and she loves both. I cooked the chicken and she ate it. Can cats get sick from raw chicken? I was afraid she could bc I got very sick once from it not being cooked enough and it was BAD sick..

She also loves the lamb, I cooked it, but worried about the fat so I washed it afterwards so none was left. I gave her some raw of that and she loved it. What should I do and what is better?
Take a look at the resources links at the top of this forum. Answers to most of your questions should be found there. 
 Plain greek style yogurt is super popular here so it is easy and cheap to get as well. She LOVES it and ate an entire can in a few days. I read about ground egg shells so I need to do that if she has yogurt? 
Yogurt is fine. As with some humans, some cats become lactose intolerant as adults but as long as eating it doesn't cause a problem, such as digestive upset, it  is fine to feed them. It sounds like you are feeding a lot of it though. Like with any food that isn't nutritionally complete it is best to not go overboard with it. She needs nutrients that aren't found in yogurt so don't fill her up with it.  

No, yogurt doesn't have enough calcium to meet the needs of a growing kitten or adult for that matter. In fact, you should not feed her more than a small amount of food that isn't nutritionally complete. It is particularly important to make very sure that a growing kitten gets enough calcium.
 Rabbit and beef are not really easy to get here and if they were it would be way too much anyway. I doubt if I could find all the other supplies as well..
Feeding mostly chicken and lamb would be fine. Do you have access to liver of any kind? Ideally you want to feed muscle meat, a bit of liver and a few supplements like B-complex, vitamin E, taurine. Fish oil is good if you can find it also. Take a look at the resources links at the top of the forum and at the recipes I link to below. Let use know exactly what you think you need but don't have access to and we might be able to help you figure out what to do.

How much should a kitten her age be eating a day? How many times should she be fed? How much yogurt per day? Should I cook or do it raw and what recipes should I follow? I am so new to all of this I have never even read it or heard of it before here. I just want to do what is best for her :)
You should feed a kitten as much as they want. They need a lot of food but their little stomachs can't hold very much at once so ideally they need to be feed several times a day. Basically as many times as you can manage.

Here are link to some recipes there at TCS:

Raw Recipes

Cooked Recipes

And at external sites:

catinfo.org

catnutrition.org